Thursday, March 05, 2020

Urban Wildlife Cameras


I collected my two downtown camera traps.

The first camera had 700 pictures. I figured I fucked up, and it was all branches and wind. Nope. Deer, raccoon, red fox, possum skunk, rabbit, groundhog and GREY FOX. A dance hall full of wildlife.


My 2 new cameras are $50 jobs from Amazon: TOGUARD Trail Camera (14MP 1080P). There are better cameras, I am sure, but I’m famously cheap, and this is entertainment not photography. If a camera is stolen or dies, I don’t want to fret too much.

I am not in love with the no-flash infra-red pictures, but these are the quality you get with all infrared. The color daylight pictures are very good, and when leaves come out I will set up on a game trail for daylight pictures only.





1 comment:

Viatecio said...

I bought a $50 game camera (the brand name escapes me) for a very different reason, but the amount of activity it catches on my tiny property is pretty cool. It's aimed down the driveway and meant to catch/document and my local AC the wandering at-large neighborhood roamer dog that needs to stay on his own property, but the amount of urban wildlife (usually the rabbits, squirrels, stray cats and birds), passers-by, cars and neighborhood workers are rather fun to see too. I could probably be further ahead to spring for a security camera system, but budget-wise, this fits the bill perfectly. And like you, if somebody swipes it, I won't be too put out.