Friday, January 16, 2009

The Bridge to the Future is Closed

This is what we have in Virginia right now: real cultural collision with a huge dash of irony.

The sign, at left, is up at the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) letting everyone know that the office will be closed today for "Lee-Jackson Day." I took this picture with my cell phone earlier this week.

What the hell is Lee-Jackson day??

Lee-Jackson Day is the day Virginia closes down State Government to celebrate the day that two slavery-loving Virginia Generals, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, rose up in armed insurrection against the United States Government.

In their quest to preserve slavery and divide the nation, they and their armies killed scores of thousands of good American boys who sought to preserve a nation and secure freedom for all.

And please don't try to tell me differently.

I know what the Civil War was about; I'm from Virginia, and live less than a mile from Robert E. Lee's ancestral home. I dig my dogs on what was once part of the Antietam battle field. The soil of my state has not been watered by revisionist political theories; it has been watered by human blood, sweat and tears.

You will also note that the DMV will be closed on Monday, which is Martin Luther King's birthday.

Martin Luther King's birthday is the day Virginia closes its office buildings as a kind of pantomime that the state ever cared about civil rights except in opposition to the idea.

A popular Virginia state bumper sticker says that "Virginia is for Lovers," but as late as 1967 the state was before the U.S. Supreme Court in Loving v. Virginia (yes, more irony) arguing that a black woman should not be allowed to marry a white man and vice-versa.

You want to Remember the Titans? Well I do. I went to high school during that period of time, and only a few miles away.

So don't try to tell me that all of this is ancient history.

Tuesday, of course, the DMV will also be closed, as it's the inauguration of Barack Hussein Obama as President of the United States.

And yes, I add the middle name to make a point: If you care about crap like that, you are the kind of biggot we need a lot less of in this country.

There, I said it. Now go away.

On Tuedays, Washington D.C. is expecting over two million visitors from out of town.

Virginia, always a paean to sensibilities and sensitivities is closing all the bridges between the state and Washington, D.C.

They are saying it is to help "control traffic," but you will pardon me if I think it's really just to discourage participation in the festivities. If people can "catch queer," no doubt some politicians in Virginia think they might be able to catch other stuff -- like civil liberties.

No matter. My folks live in the City, and the Mall is an easy bicycle ride from my house. I will be there, with Bruce Springsteen and the rest.

This Virginian, at least, will represent.
..

9 comments:

YesBiscuit! said...

VA says "Thanks but no thanks" to the Bridge to the Future. But they will take one extra large helping of honoring the heroes in the War of Northern Aggression, heh.

Anonymous said...

Lee-Jackson day is the 16th? I was unawares. Thx.

Daniel Gauss said...

Uh.. about Bruce. He's catching some heat from the Left: http://jackrabbitcafe.blogspot.com/2009/01/untitled_4078.html

There's also a follow up piece on the same blog..

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, one of Stonewall Jackson's close relatives was a supporter of the union army in WV and was a founder of the state of West Virginia. He later became a somewhat progressive jurist in the new state. I don't know why Virginia claims him, because his birth place is within 40 miles of the PA border in West Virginia. His hometown is maybe 20 miles below that.

I was always troubled by racist sentiments that were expressed verbally in West Virginia during the presidential campaign. It's kind of rough supporting a presidential candidate in a state where large numbers of people view that person as evil, simply because of the skin color.

Sean said...

I disagree with the insinuation that Lee and Jackson were responsible for the war and that the "good American boys" were on the Union side. Thousands of good American boys died on both sides of the battlefield. Only a tiny fraction of those doing the fighting owned slaves and all of the men fighting in both northern and southern armies were fighting to defend their country.

The horrible sin of slavery is one the the South has to face up to and deal with, but we should not tar all of those who fought nobly in an effort to exorcise that demon. We can honor the effort of the ordinary men while recognizing the wrong-headedness of the political policies.

Caveat said...

Ironic indeed.

Have a good time on Tuesday - take yer critter cam :>)

PBurns said...

Sean, I have no idea where you live, but let me make one thing clear: YOU COULD CHOOSE what side you fought on in the Civil War.

Lee and Jackson CHOSE slavery, armed insurrection, and a divided nation, rather than freedom for all and unity.

CHOICE.

This was a war in brothers fought each other and shot their neighbors, and it happened where I live.

CHOICE.

Do good people make bad choices? Sure: Look at the 51 percent of America that gave us George W. Bush for the last eight years.

But CHOICE does involve RESPONSIBILITY.

And people who CHOSE to fight the war on the side of the South ARE responsible for that choice, by definition.

Lee and Jackson CHOSE TO KILL GOOD AMERICANS IN THE QUEST FOR SLAVERY AND A DIVIDED NATION. Lee actually TURNED DOWN the top position in the Union Army to do so. I live in Virginia. We know such things ;)

Patrick

Anonymous said...

Tell it like it is, Terrierman!

Anonymous said...

I don't disagree with your assessment of the lingering and deep racism we still face in America, but I've been reveling in the more immediate bright side. All week I've been saying, "This is the last Sunday (fill in the blank each day) we'll ever have George W. Bush as our president." I couldn't be more excited, and dare I say... hopeful, about the new president. I could go on and on about that, but on another note, I got what looks to be a kick-ass book today. It's entitled "American Working Terriers". Ever heard of it? (G)

Seahorse