Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Good News Is I Found Me Specticals ...

Yesterday's post on the Humane Society of the U.S. being a direct mail mill started off as a comment, by me, to an excellent piece by Gina Spadafori over at the Pet Connection blog.

Her post, of course was in response to Wayne Pacelle's blog post about the No-Kill movement.

Pacelle's blog post, was in turn, a response to Nathan Winograd's book Redemption and the kind of publicity Gina, Christie Keith, and others have given it.

Read Winograd's book, but I have written a pretty detailed summary of it entitled Beyond the Blue Solution of Dog Shelter Death for those that are book-averse (Shame on you!)

My comments about the Humane Society of the U.S. being a direct mail machine was followed up by a good question from another poster, which I answered in a piece detailing the Direct Mail Economics of the Humane Movement.

To be fair, this post really details the direct mail economics of direct mail fright-factory organizations in general. HSUS is not distinctive in the way it operates, only in its scale of operation.

All of this history, of course, is just an excuse to post a bunch of links, and for me to steal Gina's picture of a terrier with spectacles (posted at top right).

I saw that wonderful little picture, grinned, and thought of the voice over:

"All right now, I've found me spectacles.
Now then, where are me testicles?
"


Trooper, of course, did not think much of the joke. He wouldn't. Poor thing.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm. All those comments on other comments on other blogs ... kind of a blogoshpheric version of a circle jerk, ain't it? ;)

PBurns said...

Well, yes there is that. :)

On the upside, got to make a testicle joke.

P.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, broad muzzles and small eyes means Akitas look terrible wearing my glasses. Otherwise there'd be a much cuter picture than a brain in a jar on my site.