Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Barbed Wire Wins Again



It was short day in the field on Sunday, with the dogs bolting two large groundhogs in the 92 degree heat.

Unfortunately, Mountain chased the second groundhog out of the hole and ripped open her leg as she tried to clear a low strand of barbed wire in the hedgerow..

The wound was pretty deep. I did a quick washout of the wound while in the field (mostly just to keep the edges of the wound moist), and a better "power wash" of the wound at home about an hour later. I then squirted betadyne deep into the gash and let it dry before closing the slice with a generous dose of NexCare Liquid Bandage Drops (available at CVS and the same as VetBond as far as I can tell). I topped off my medical attention by loading Mountain up with a triple dose of Cephelaxen.

After two days in a crate (and more preventive antiobiotics) Mountain was back trotting around the yard again today. She has more-or-less stopped limping, but I'm keeping her out of the field for the next two weeks as I don't want that gash to open up again.

No comments: