Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Inexplicably Overrated vs. Overlooked Treasures


A hat tip to Donald McCaig for sending me a link to the above graph.  Double click on the graphic to enlarge. This graphic comes from the book Knowledge Is Beautiful by David McCandless.

The data behind the graph is available here.

The dog in the top left corner that is "inexplicably overrated," is the English Bulldog.  The small dog, almost on the middle line at the far right, is the Border Terrier.

Terriers and Spaniels got the best combined scores.  In descending order of preference: The Border Terrier, the Cairn Terrier, the Welsh Springer Spaniel, the English Cocker Spaniel, and the Cocker Spaniel.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Got to feel sorry for that poor wee cat!

Anonymous said...

If popularity means increased overbreeding and inbreeding, I'm sure it's best to be overlooked.

Pishkeen said...

I'm feeling vindicated for preferring Welsh Springers to all other dogs, even though the only reason I have for that preference is that is the dog my parents had when I was a baby, and therefore the very first dog I ever loved.

Unknown said...

Im am pleased to note that Scotland has given the world some great dogs.
Border Collie, Cairn Terrier, Border Terrier, Golden Retriever, West Highland White Terrier, Gordon Setter and I suspect that the Scottish Terrier being a bit lower down the list is more due to the breeders than the breed.

There again I am biased. Mines a Cairn Patterdale cross.