Friday, October 08, 2021

Bicycle and Kayak Security Hack


My solo kayaking hack for the Potomac is to drop off my bicycle where I will exit, leaving it locked up with four cable locks (yes, four), covered by a rain cover (no bicycle brand to see, no locks to study) and an electronic motion-detector alarm.  

This last bit is very effective, I think, as simply bumping the bike sets off a loud warning beep, and it accelerates in terms of noise after that.  

The electronic motion detector has been one of my best purchases (it has a simple blue-tooth “key”) and it’s very low-cost.

When I exit the river, I turn over the kayak with disassembled paddle and other gear underneath, secreting the electronic alarm under the seat. Touch the kayak, and the alarm beeps; move the kayak, and it roars.  Perfect!

I then ride the bike up the C&O Canal to pick up my vehicle, load the bike, and drive back to pick up the kayak.  It’s a pretty complete workout: upper body on the kayak, legs on the bike, and a few lifts loading and unloading the kayak.




At the end, I load bike and kayak (and sometime both dogs!) and head home.

2 comments:

Doberdeb said...

what type of alarm do you have for your bike. I am overwhelmed at all the choices on amazon.

PBurns said...

Works great >> https://www.amazon.com/Onvian-Anti-Theft-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Vibration/dp/B07MFBV7TW