I don’t get scammed too often. In fact, my wife says this is the first time in 40 years.
But I DID get scammed. Twice. In a week. Both times the scams came from China with deals “too good to be true.”
How it went:
- BIKE HELMETLighted Rockbros bike helmet. FB promotion at $15 plus $10 shipping. The web site was “Marlo Shop”. Same helmet on Amazon was $56 plus $20 shipping. Suspicious, but stupidly, I bit. “Order confirmed” email on June 3 from “24hforu.store” which sounded weird, but I got an email confirmation and an Order No. Tried tracking the shipment later, but that did not work. Loooong wait. July 3rd I received a washcloth and a note never naming the product and with a gmail phone number that no one answered. The washcloth was mailed from what looks to be a mail drop in California. Picture taken of goods and label on day of arrival. Looked up charge and it’s mysteriously billed to “FALE HKITCH”
Asked AMEX to reverse charge. Said they would.
- KAYAK CARRIERSearched online and found a suspiciously cheap Malone Kayak Stacker for $78.95. Stupidly, I bit. Again, I got a conformation on the order and a tracking number. Loooong wait. July 6th I received 5 generic white face masks and the tracker (which worked) said this was my order. Return address was to “Leonard Kabasinski” in China. Picture taken of goods and label on day of arrival. Looked up the charge and it’s mysteriously billed to “CRITCE HAMILTON”
Asked AMEX to reverse charge. “Dispute in progress” as of July 6, 2020.
The core of the scam is to confuse and exhaust the purchaser. You get something, so it looks like they fulfilled their end, and never mind that what they sent is actually worthless and not what was ordered. The charge is cloaked under a different company name, and by the time the scam uncoils, it’s a month after your order.
- As always, if it sounds too good to be true, it’s a scam.
- Never order directly from China. Never, ever.
- Pay by credit card.
- Amazon purchases are safer than most others unless it’s a big name store.
|Not a Kayak Stacker|
|Not a bicycle helmet.|