Saturday, January 05, 2019

Yes, You Can Have No License Today



The Department of Motor Vehicles dance today was amazing.

Despite having a current VA drivers license and a current passport, I was told I ALSO had to have an ORIGINAL Social Security card. So I had to go to Social Security in order to order a card (all they wanted was the passport!) so that I might be able to stand in line for two hours at some future date in order to get a license. My Social Security card might come in a week or two. 

Read that again -- the DMV would not accept the passport identification that Social Security accepted -- the DMV wanted a Social Security card too. Clearly great minds working hard somewhere....

Despite having a car that passed inspection in VA., I also have to have the car re-inspected in Maryland. No, that couldn’t get done today or tomorrow. Try Monday morning. I'm driving on expired tags (with help from a note from a friendly local cop) until then.

My wife is doing the same dance, but she had her original Social Security card. She figured she’d at least get a new license. She figured wrong. No license for her because her passport does not have a hyphenated name, but her Social Security card has it hyphenated. It's the same double-barreled name (and picture) except for the hyphen. She has to come back on Wednesday to get that sorted out. By then, maybe she’ll have gotten her car inspected too.

No comments: