Friday, November 02, 2018

The Ernest Hemingway Medical File


Ernest Hemingway lived through anthrax, malaria, pneumonia, dysentery, skin cancer, hepatitis, anemia, diabetes, high blood pressure, two plane crashes, a ruptured kidney, a ruptured spleen, a ruptured liver, a crushed vertebra, and a fractured skull.

In the end, however, his memory was wiped clean by electro-shock therapy at the Mayo Clinic, where he was sent for depression. Rather than relieve the depression, the electro-shock seemed to deepen it, and Hemingway killed himself with a shotgun blast in July of 1961.

1 comment:

LRM said...

Maybe Papa needed water? Or Melville?

“Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.”