Monday, August 02, 2010

Finishing Up the Short Go to Ground Tunnel



I finished up the short go to ground tunnel by putting wooden bars on one end. They're 1" oak, and are replaceable if the dog chews through them too much.

The box on top is my "critter box," in which I place a live squirrel, which is later released unharmed (others use a rat, but squirrels are free and easy to catch and release where I live).

The dogs do not get access to the critter box until they stay and bay for a little while -- at least a minute or two. I do not require a lengthy stay in a situation where the dog cannot get to the critter (the bars and the expanded metal grate ensure the squirrel's safety).

I have put a hinged door halfway down the straight pipe, so the dog will have to enter the sette, turn a sharp corner, go three feet, dig through some light stuff, and then proceed pass that to the squirrel. Once a dog is doing this with precision, and without hesitation, we are ready for the field!
.

No comments: