Monday, August 02, 2010

New Dog Arrives and He's a Cracker


Possum, the Jack Russell, fresh from baggage claims. Still some light paperwork to do.


A look inside.



Spanned at the airport! This little man is 11 inches tall with a tiny little chest and a head like a small anvil.

Span? All my fingers overlap. All of them -- at at 2.7 years of age! No worries as to whether this dog will fit down a hole. Affirmative!

The walk to the car was full of more good sign -- this is a dog that uses his nose a lot.

And the dog is calm. Dead calm. He knows who he is. He lay in my arms on the ride home like he had been born there.

And how has he done at the house? He's playing in the back yard with the other two dogs. I think that's a good sign!

I thought Possum might arrive a little fat, but he's very tight and slim. I am pretty darn pleased so far, I have to tell you!

I massive thank to Dawn Weiss at Briar Run Working Terriers. This is everything I wanted, and more than I could hope. He's going to be an awesome little man in the field. Many pictures to follow!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What's the main difference, so far, between the new dog and the old dogs? The new dog has not yet figured out how to leap onto my stomach when I lie down in the hammock. I bet he learns!.
.

13 comments:

Seahorse said...

WOW, fantastic on all counts! Congratulations!!! Your fingers overlap three or four inches! He's a handsome little dude and now that he's home and dry I think you can crack a smile. ;)

Can you provide the specs for your travel crate? I just ordered a Vari Kennel that's airline approved and I think something like 21x16x15 inches. It used to be the 100 series, but I think it's called something else now.

Seahorse

seeker said...

EXCELLENT!! Congratulations Papa. It's a real boy. I'm very happy for you.

Debi and the two Texas JRTS

Marcus Hooker said...

Congrats on the new puppy, hope he turns out to be what you wanted. I'm leaving for the airport soon to pick up my Saluki puppy.

Doug said...

Congrats Patrick. I'll be anxious to see him in the field. He's a good looking little guy.

Anton said...

congrats again. off to a good start.

JaderBug said...

Congrats on the new dog! Can't wait to see all the upcoming photos :-)

PBurns said...

The airlines are a bit too enthusiastic about crate size, as that is one way they bill you....

This little dog that weighs 10 pounds and is 11 inches tall, came in a crate that is 25 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 20 inches tall. That crate will actuall fit a 45 pound Pit Bull -- I know because I have another crate the exact same size used for that.

P.

Camera Trap Codger said...

Best wishes, Patrick, for many Sundays to come, and glad to see that you're a fan of Dame Edna too.

Jonathan Setter said...

There was enough room in there for him to do backflips. I swear that you both have the same look in your eyes in that one photo. Shared intent on future fun in the field perhaps?

Marie said...

Congrats on Possum's arrival, look forward to reading about his field adventures.

Will he be available at stud?

PBurns said...

He's always available for Dawn. For the rest of the world, let's see how he does in the field. Proof is in the field and in the earth. I have high hopes -- he seems an honest and steady dog, but time will tell. If time proves his worth, he may yet have an opporunity to sire a few more small workers. The goods new with a male dog that they are in no rush!

P

Anton said...

they have till the end of time with frozen sperm ;)

I was talking to my vet about freezing eggs too, apparantly thats being experimented with for cattle. (My dog's aunt too old for pups but would've liked to keep her genes alas)

Miki said...

Congrats to both of you, Patrick. He looks swell.

Now tell me - why does he make me think of Jimmy Cagney?