Thursday, August 20, 2009

Doing Computer Maintenance for Next 24 Hours

I will be doing sporadic computer maintenance for the next 24 hours or so.

This is occasioned by the fact that Windows Explorer 8.0 sucks eggs, Windows Vista sucks rocks, Hewlett Packard will not allow my old scanner to work at all (why upgrade the drivers when you can make them throw that perfectly fine old scanner away), and .... well, there's more.

The whole freaking computer was doing calisthenics last night while it tried to find a new "set point" or something to "restore" itself. Of course, when it did restore itself, it screwed up other things on my machine, and right now my home office looks like a small explosion occurred.

Yes, I am singing a robust version of "If I had a hammer ..." Not a good sign, as some people know.

If you have emailed me today I will get back to you soon. I have to fix this magilla first.

5 comments:

Éadaoin said...

Yes Internet Explorer 8 sucks. Go with Google Chrome. You'll be gobsmacked at how fast it is in comparison. You'll never go back!

Best of luck. Had the same sort of problems myself a while back, I feel for you!

Anonymous said...

Ubuntu Linux. Its been years since I used anything more than a Virtualbox install of Windows, and only then under sufferance.

Switch to Linux and don't look back.

Viatecio said...

What Dr Dan said. KDE is so similar to Windows you won't know the difference. (I use GNOME, which has the Mac-like option bar at the top, but I LOVE it either way!) Firefox browser goes with it like a high schoolers and Mountain Dew.

Heather Houlahan said...

Get a Mac, Henry.

Firefox rules.

Marie said...

I am still blissfully running on Explorer 6 and they will have to pry it out of my cold dead computer to get me to switch to the latest version, also using XP, thought about getting a new computer but everything had Vista ... no thanks.

Good luck.

Marie