Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Sailor Back in Action



I took Sailor out to the farms on Sunday -- her first day back at work since she got disemboweled back in November from a piece of falling roof metal. She has repaired very nicely and is back to her old perfect-health self.

We worked this possum from a hedge, and then Sailor bolted a nice big raccoon out of the wall of a feed bunker after we could find no fox to ground (it was better than 50 degrees out).

I was a little surprised about the raccoon, which exited out of an impossibly small crack in the top of the concrete and then leaped towards me -- I think it did not see me, but with rabies as thick as we have around here (amost all of it in the raccoon population), I am careful.

I will have to deal with the raccoon I suspect -- he's bunked only about 100 feet from a chicken pen. The chicken pen itself is undermined on several sides by groundhog tunnels. I have removed the groundhogs from there, but the tunnels run under the battery shed and I cannot fill them in very well, and I notice one of them is open again. What the farmer needs to do is squirt liquid milk cow manure into those holes, which will then dry up up solid as a rock, but all he has are a beef cattle and it's a totally different manure. Time for a raccoon rodeo!

No comments: