Monday, September 16, 2013

Ratting Ryder Alley



This is Richard R. and others ratting Ryder Alley in New York City. Ryder Alley is an L shaped alley with Eden Alley on the short leg. One way to find the location is to look for an ugly little short cut between Gold Street and Fulton Street. The main entrance to Ryder Alley is off of Fulton Street, and the location runs rich with rats because of a Chinese restaurant on one side, and an apartment and Irish bar and restaurant on the other, and the back of a grocery store at the turn into Eden Alley.
.
.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That was so interesting. Places with such severe rat problems aren't gonna solve their infestations with just poison and traps. They also need help from these wonderful working dogs. Thanks for posting!

mugwump said...

I love seeing this. I worked two ratters (OK, they worked themselves) all the years I trained horses.
They were a tight, efficient team. My involvement was limited to trading treats for carcasses and coming to help them dig out the tough ones. I was happy to provide both.
My team? A ranch bred rat terrier and a corgi/jrt mix. Lovely, murderous little bastards.

SilenceIsGolden said...

Now that is the only thing I would go to NYC for.

Living the life in The Little City said...

In August, I read the book, "Rats," by R. Sullivan. This is the location where he spent a year observing rats at night.

I started to watch the video and what bothered me was that it appeared that the person putting the dead rats in a row was not wearing gloves. Eeeuw! I'll have to go back and watch later.

I have rat videos from my side yard, thanks to my trusty game camera. Nothing like the critters in this video, though. Thank goodness!