“Sunday School” by Eira Quinn
They told me about NoahBut not the bodies.Not the screamingbeneath rising water,or the motherswho begged God for mercyas he watched from the cloudsand said nothing.I heard about Job,but they skipped the bet.The part where God let the Devilruin a man’s lifejust to prove a point.Killed his children.Stripped his skin.And called it“Righteous testing”.They told about Abraham’s faith,but not Isaac’s trauma.Not what it does to a boyto see his father raise a knifewith heavens approval.Not the silence that followswhen you survive a godwho wanted you dead.No one mentioned the concubines,the raped,the forgotten wives,the daughters soldfor the price of landor peaceor power.They didn’t talk aboutstoning disobedient sons,or killing gay lovers,or what to doif a woman is not a virginon her wedding night.They said Jesus died for us,but not that Godcould’ve chosen forgivenesswithout blood.That maybe the crucifixionwasn’t salvation,But spectacle.They said“Trust the word”but they handed mea censored bookand a list of acceptable questions.And when I asked about the rest,they said“Have faith”But faith without truthis just fearin nicer clothing.And now that I’ve readwhat they skipped -now that I’ve seenwhat they hid —I can’t go backto coloring pagesAnd quiet amens.The god they taught mewas edited.Redacted.Rebranded.But the truth?The truth was always there.In the margins.In the footnotes.In the blood.

No comments:
Post a Comment