Thursday, February 10, 2022

Alf Wight Was the World's Authority on Alf Wight


People are odd.  They so frequently do no research, park their brains, and double down on silly. 

An example: A fellow I have never heard of before asks me through Facebook Messenger (which I rarely check): 

 Out of interest where did you discover that Alf Wight always wanted a border terrier? 

Alf Wight, aka "James Herriot"?  Eh?  This is the big question of the day?  Why?

My reply:

Said so on the back of one of the many books. Can’t remember which one, but had a picture of him with Bodie. 

The reply back:

Not according to his daughter. Perhaps we shouldn’t believe everything that’s written? 

Oof. 
 A very cock-sure and smug fellow, and clearly someone who has no idea how little most kids know about their parents, but who is very anxious to announce that he met Alf Wight's daughter. 

OK. 

These folks are amusing to me.  They are akin to the folks who announce that their father or ex-spouse was a doctor/ lawyer/ chemist and so THEY know about... whatever... as if information was passed to them via ether or miasma based on proximity alone.  

My reply:
   
So you think Alf Wight got a dog he didn’t want? Curious thing for an older man with a life with dogs to do.

Since Mr. Wight approved the text of his books in proofs, I suspect he might be more of an authority on himself than his daughter. 

A gentle hint.

Of course that would not end it, would it?  This fellow wanted me to know he knew Alf Wight's daughter. Was I not paying attention?

His daughter lives close by and she said he had never always wanted one as you noted.  It was a gift. 

Was I deaf?  Did I not understand that this fellow knew Alf Wight's daughter?

Now, to be clear, I am sure quite a number of people know Alf Wight's daughter (she's a journalist), just as I am sure many people knew Alf Wight, as he wrote a number of very popular books, was the subject of a TV series based on his stories, had a long veterinary practice, did a lot of interviews, etc. 

That said, the person who is the World Authority on Alf Wight is ... Alf Wight.   

I replied:

Again, I would go with what Alf Wight himself said or approved on his own book. But if it makes you feel better… (shrug emoji)

 

Having finally parked the car (yes, up to now I was texting this nonsense at traffic lights), I did a quick Google.  And guess what?

I wrote back:

She’s wrong. Found the source and a bit more. See >> here (https://www.pbase.com/image/71973359)


The picture at the link is the one appended at the top of this post and is from the 1982 book The Best of James Herriot. The link notes:

James Herriot, the British veterinary surgeon and writer is best known for his popular stories, often referred to as "All Creatures Great and Small" After retiring, he finally got the dog he had wanted his whole life, a Border Terrier. He later said that "Bodie" gave him more joy than any other dog he had ever known. This wonderful photo shows them enjoying a tender moment together It's from the back cover of "The Best of James Herriot".

The link goes on to quote Chapter One of "James Herriot's Favorite Dog Stories," written by Alf Wight himself:

I decided to fulfill a longtime ambition, to own a Border terrier. I had loved this breed, with its whiskery face, ever since I had come to work in Yorkshire. But there had never been a litter around when we had wanted a new dog. This time, however, I was very fortunate to find the last of a litter not far away in Bedale, and so Bodie joined the Herriot household.
 
I don't think any of my other dogs would be too upset if I said that no dog has ever given me so much joy as Bodie - who is lying beside me now as I write. From the moment that I reached down and lifted up the puppy, and he curled his little body round, apparently trying to touch his tail with his nose, I was lost to him.

You can read the rest of that chapter >> here << and go ahead and order the book if you don't already have it.

You would think that would be the end of it, but no. This fellow appended some odd and nonsensical filler text from some review of a Herriot book, and then tried to explain what “story” meant. 

My reply back was rather curt:

Huh? You asked for citation. I gave it. End of that. Goodbye.


Here's a hint: 
Don't waste people's time, use the Google, and learn to apologize. Don't expect people to suffer time-wasters with infinite good humor.

You may be related to someone, or married to someone, but they are still the authority on their life, their opinions, and their experience.

Alf Wight was, and is, the world's authority on Alf Wight.

As someone with two successful grown children, let me assure you that though we have a very good relationship, I think they would be very hard pressed to name the organizations I've worked for, much less know what I did or what I wrote for them. To the best of my knowledge my children have never read a book, article, or monograph that I have written, do not visit the blog, and otherwise live completely independent lives, as all people do. No problem here, and thank God they have their own lives.

Think about kids. Between school, sports, rivalries, hormones, hair cuts, fads, friends, and adolescent anxieties, it's a wonder they even know their parents middle names!

Our kids have about six years under our roof when they are fully aware functioning humans -- ages 12-18 -- and after that it's visits and 5-minute conversations mostly centered on logistics. This is the way it is in most families, and there's no shame in Alf Wight's daughter learning a bit about her own father by reading what he himself wrote about his own life. In fact, I recommend it!

With that, I'm off to order a new electric kettle. After at least a decade of service the old one seems to have given up the ghost. Please respect my privacy during this difficult time. The new one arrives.... tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Have you considered a stove top kettle? They never die. :-)