Thursday, April 04, 2024

Feeding the Bees

I am making fondant to feed the bees that should be arriving in a week or so.  

The small “nuclear” hives that I will be receiving will grow out in my two larger 10-frame boxes, but they will arrive with too little food, and it will be cold and wet, so supplemental feeding is needed.

Fondant is 8 pounds of white sugar mixed into 4 cups of boiling water to which a teaspoon of lemon oil and a teaspoon of vinegar has been added.

The fragrant candy that results is placed on top of the frames to feed the bees. I also have a pollen packet which will stimulate bee larva production.

I will be traveling the last week of April, so I want to make sure the food needs of my bees will be taken care of during this critical early-Spring time.

Honey bees are not native, and are extremely susceptible to varroa mite infestation, hive beetle infestation, and starvation. Keeping them alive involves a certain level of maintenance.

No comments: