Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Planting for the Future Unseen

I just ordered 75 slip trees and bushes from the Maryland state arboretum at $3 each, including delivery. They will come in March or April.

Native dogwood, beautyberry, and blackhaw viburnum.  

These are all designed to pull in birds and other wildlife, and will go in various parts of my wee forest.  

The dogwood is not deer-resistant, but if I plant those on the edge, near the driveway and house, they may yet make it.  We’ll see, I guess! 😄

I hope the next guy who occupies this house after me appreciates the effort. When plants go in this small, there’s no guarantee you will be there to see flower or berry. 

No matter.

The state arboretum I ordered these from were the folks who picked up the 35 gallons of acorns I collected and bagged this fall.  If those thousands of acorns end up producing 100 adult trees, I will be happy.

No comments: