Tuesday, October 25, 2022

The Harvey Terrier


What’s the breed?

Fell? What’s a Fell? Who says?

Border Terrier? What’s a Border Terrier? Who says?

Patterdale? What’s a Patterdale? Who says?

Lakeland? What’s a Lakeland? Who says?

Jack Russell? What’s a Jack Russell? Who says?

The Kennel Club? Right!

A piece of paper? Right!

Oh it’s all a MYSTERY is it? Ok. Put me down for the Scooby Doo mystery of it all.

It was Lord Clymere and Annie Harris with a candlestick in the drawing room, not the water slide operator wearing a mask? Oh Scooby!







The animal in the pipe has his opinion. He sorts the terrier world into two kinds: dogs that can reach him underground, and all others.

Show me your dog in the ground. Let me hear him down there for 20 minutes or an hour, and I can tell you their breed.

But for the paper and ink set, it’s all a bit like Harvey isn’t it? From the Jimmy Stewart movie of the same name:

I said, ‘You have the advantage on me. You know my name and I don't know yours.’ And, and right back at me he said, ‘What name do you like?’ Well, I didn't even have to think twice about that. Harvey's always been my favorite name. So I said to him, I said, ‘Harvey.’ And, uh, this is the interesting thing about the whole thing: He said, ‘What a coincidence. My name happens to *be* Harvey.’
And so, the Harvey Terrier was born!

No comments: