Saturday, September 03, 2022

King Tut’s Tomb

I have a library of books and bones, fossils and rocks, textile art and African sculpture in a large storage unit. 

Today I reboxed a few cartons of books and came across this random selection in one box. Without a doubt. I need to “Marie Kondo” the hell out of my life. Perhaps we all do. 

I just sold 800 volumes for $400. No, not this stuff, but still very good art and history books from my parents collection. 

I donated at least 300 volumes of high-end books to two local libraries four years ago. 

Time hunts me like a wolf, and things have to go, as two houses collapse into one. It’s a lot like work, and it’s all pretty exhausting. If I knew at age 20, what I know now, I would have bought everything for pennies from the salvation places that I am donating to now. 

Yesterday I donated a solid oak hutch, a dining table, a china cabinet, and four chairs to Habitat for Humanity — all part of a set. More good stuff is going to A Wider Circle in two weeks or so. 

If there’s a life lesson here, it’s to buy less and never buy what you wouldn’t pack and move three times. Live smaller, collect better, and simplify, simplify, simplify.

No comments: