Wednesday, July 20, 2022

53 Years Ago, We Went to the Moon

The world divides between those who remember where they were ... and those who did not yet exist. 

I was in North Africa, and it was so hot the tropical fish tank had been moved into the one room with air conditioning, so the fish did not die from the heat. The TV only had a half hour of news per day and a half hour of Tom & Jerry cartoons (there was no other programming). But on this special day they showed the Moon landing. It was a global Big Deal. 

Later the moon rocks would tour the world, and I went with my father to pick them up, and put them in the embassy safe before they were trotted out for exhibit and then sent to the next post. We made weird “space music” at the house to go with the traveling rocks (we had a lot of musical instruments). I’m not sure if that was just for the local exhibit, or if was used in other stations. I can’t remember where the moon rocks went next. It was a long time ago.

No comments: