Thursday, April 21, 2022

VA and MD Online Maps of Bald Eagle Nests


Maryland and Virginia have online maps of Bald Eagle nests, most of which are near water along the Potomac or other rivers, or along the edges of the Chesapeake Bay.

These are not all the Bald Eagle nests, by a longshot -- I have seen nests along the Monocacy River that are not in the database and I have not plugged them in due to my own on-the-water sloth and incompetence with mapping coordinates.


Tomorrow, I'm going to go by water to try to find a nest at 39.125833 / -77.517647 which is just past the mid-point of Harrison Island down river from White's Ferry, on the Maryland side of the island.  

I'm told the nest is occupied and can still be photographed from the ground (i.e. it's not yet too far into the foliage).  We’ll see.

Harrison Island has a permanent private residence visible near the center of the island. There are no bridges to the island, and the island is closed to the general public.  

My guess is that the best shot may be from land on the Maryland side. If so, I will tie up there and pull my old P610 Nikon out of a waterproof dry bag.  Yes, I have learned.

No comments: