Sunday, December 29, 2019

Death Is Always on the Way


"Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."
       -- Paul Bowles' The Sheltering Sky

1 comment:

Lucas Machias said...

https://gardenandgun.com/feature/black-walnut-fever/?fbclid=IwAR1zs7F46hwS2HSNJyzkADSnBONUyGbH8STSHqScDOPyxJuSFRuQ6Eq5chU

"As the light starts to go and we’re hauling our last buckets to the truck, I ask Terry about her heart attack. “I died in the ambulance,” she says. “My heart stopped. All I remember is the nurse saying, ‘She’s coding.’ Next thing I knew I was in heaven. I saw my mom, dad, my brother Ray, my uncle Bill. And behind them all these silhouettes of people as far as I could see. I didn’t recognize them, but I knew they were my family. Because I just felt so much love. It was so peaceful. So don’t worry about dying, honey. It’s the easiest thing you’ll ever do.” She pauses. I ask her to continue. “Well, next thing I knew I was looking down at my body in the ambulance. And I knew I was going back to it and that it was going to hurt. A heart attack hurts really bad, you know. After that, I woke up in a hospital and knew I was going to be all right. Anyway, don’t worry about dying, honey. Death was easier than anything I’ve done in my life. Till I hooked up with this ole boy.” She smiles at Shaun. He studies his boots, almost blushing. “It’s peaches and cream now.”"

A friend had this happen to him 2 years ago and he says BS. He didn't see any lights, revelations, etc.