Friday, April 04, 2014

Deboxing the Educator Collar 300TS Collar


It's been a while since I had a pressing need for a training collar, and when I went to pull out my old Innotek, the charger no longer seemed to juice the collar. Time to replace the system I guess.

After a bit of research, I relaxed my wallet a bit (yes sedatives were administered!) and sprang for a mini
Educator Collar Technologies 300TS (formerly called the mini Einstein Collar) after taking advice from Linda Kaim and listening to what the folks over at Leerburg had to say, and doing some comparison shopping between other models at that site and others.

I ended up ordering the collar off of Amazon, as they gave me free postage and would delivere it in two days. Hard to beat that!

I have not yet tried the collar on the dogs, but I did take the time to unbox it, 
read the manual, set it up, and test it out on myself.


The transmitter is good for half a mile, which is plenty for my needs and much better than my old Innotek.

The receiver and the transmitter are water proof and the collar has a nice clean nick that can be set between 0-100.  I cannot feel the collar when it is under 10. I put the collar on a full 100 and found it persuasive, but not horrible. My dogs have certainly faced more adverse instruction from fox, raccoon, and groundhogs!

The collar strap can be swapped out, so while the collar it came with will be cut for a terrier, I have larger strap collars that can be slid in if and when I want to work with a larger dog.

The transmitter has three main buttons. There is a simple pulse nick button, a boost button (nick+20 or whatever number you want), as well as a "tap" button which is basically a vibration. The settings on the nick features are infinitely variable, and can be locked in. Changing the settings is very easy and fast using the remote alone. Settings can be made momentary, continuous or a combo, but that's more than I want to explain at the moment. Suffice it to say, there are a lot of options!

The remote is shaped like a stop watch, with three buttons that fit naturally to your thumb, index, and middle fingers. I always found the old brick remote on my Innotek system a bit of a fumble, but this remote is clearly a one-hand, no looking needed kind of thing.

The collar and transmitter are made in America, and that was a selling feature for me because I believe we need more stuff made in America (other than diabetes).

Below is a picture of the collar and the transmitter with a few coins and a watch for scale.



No comments: