Sunday, December 11, 2011

Working Dog or Accident Waiting to Happen?


Nik & Ned from Lara van Raay on Vimeo.

This is a very nice video story about a man and his dog, but it's also about a very, very questionable decision; to run a dog loose in urban traffic.

In the video, Nik says "It's always me that fails, never the dog," but of course, there's a third option and we almost see it in this video; a failure of a not-too-observant driver. And, to be fair, what driver is looking for loose dog in the middle of urban traffic? No one!

And does it help that the dog is both low to the ground and asphalt-colored?

And did I mention that running a dog loose in the street is illegal? True!

I have driven both bicycles and motorcycles in urban traffic, and I know cars often do not see either one, and that problem has only gotten worse now that we are in the era of cell phones and text messaging.

So far, Nik and Ned seem to have made it through life, but this is a "one and done" situation as far as vehicle impacy is concerned, and the dog is not a responsible decision maker.  Is Nik?
.

1 comment:

M said...

I always wonder when the meaning of working changed? It used to be a working dog did something measurable for the chow in their dish. My grandfather raised working retrievers - if they did not retrieve they didn't stick around long enough to eat.
My Uncle raises working german shepherds who search out drugs and illegal contraband in prisons. In exchange they continue to get the food in their dish, top notch medical, and a kennel to call their own.
I don't think it is less than to have a non working dog but I don't pretend that taking the dog for a walk is anything but taking the dog for a walk unless the dog has me in tow via gangline.
As far as this guy I see him as little more than an attention seeker. There is no reason he couldn't do the same "work" on a leash next to the bike, or with one of those spring contraptions. Low key would be having the pup on a leash.