Monday, September 19, 2011

The Gideon Mountain Hunt Rides Again

My hunting licenses are always a fun thing to get. I have two licenses -- a nonresident in Maryland, and a resident in Virginia. The former costs me quite a bit, and I probably don't need it as groundhogs are not considered furbearers, and most of the land I hunt on is private, but I like to turn square corners on all paperwork, and besides I am not opposed to funding the good men and women of two state Departments of Natural Resources.

That said, on the Maryland side, along with a full nonresident hunting license, I also buy a group furbearer license which covers group "fox chasing" by a foot pack or mounted hunt. Most of these group fox chasing licenses are obtained by outfits where the "day trippers" drive $50,000 Landrovers, put well-oiled saddles on $10,000 horses, and ride off (never so much as seeing a fox) while wearing $500 velvet jackets. I am a little more low-rent and low-tech, but I have no problem filling out the line where it lists the "name of hunt."

The "Gideon Mountain Hunt" rides again!
.

2 comments:

Seahorse said...

I can tell it's been a while since you bought a Land Rover, a good field hunter, or "Hunting Pinks" (a red wool coat for mounted fox hunting). Your prices are...well...quaint!

Seahorse ;)

seeker said...

I suppose I get close to the same feeling when I re-register my brand. I started it after a huge flood in 98 that swept away thousands of animals. A brand would allow you to claim a living horse or identify a drowned one for the insurance. It also sort of prevented theft as its just as easy to steal an unbranded horse as a branded one and they are a lot easier to sell.

Just like your outfit doesn't compare to those fancy eastern hunts, the one on my single 22 year old horse doesn't compare to the King Ranch Running W, but she's well worth it to pay the small fees in Bexar and Guadalupe Ct.

But we can ID every animal involved and they all come to call.

Mine will probably never be used again. Its the Bar C Bar. Long may that old mare live.

-
C
-

Debi and the TX Jacks