Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Cesar's Dedication

I am going to write about Cesar Millan's dedication, but perhaps not the one you think.

I am not going to talk about Cesar Millan's dedication to the dogs, or the TV show, or the Dog Pyschology Center he founded in Los Angeles.

I am going to talk about the dedication to his new book Cesar's Rules, which came out yesterday.

I was at National Geographic last night, for his first book-signing of the tour, and to see episode one of Season Seven (very funny and smart).

Cesar has the gift of all famous great speakers, which is to come out small, slightly disorganized, and a bit tentative (note that the rules are bit different if you are not famous).

If you are expecting a Massive Ego to enter the room, you do not see it.

If you are expecting to get a shtick you do not get it.

When Millan shows up, it is the opposite of a television evangelist; there is no shiney suit, no carefully orchestrated hand movements, no set stump speech.

Which is not to say he does not have speaking modules.

If you talk a lot, you learn to say your lines and not bump into the furniture too much. The trick is to have several hundred bits in your glad-bag of stories and ideas, and to let those pieces tumble out in a natural and unforced order as people ask questions or raise points that need further illumination.

Millan does it masterfully. There is a reason he is the People Whisperer.

OK, back to the book, but before I get there, let me note that this book was NOT written by Cesar Millan alone any more than his television show is produced as a one-man band. It takes a team.

The team on this book, as in all the others, is Cesar Millan and Melissa Jo Peltier.

Now if I know one thing from writing quite a lot myself over the years, it is that the second name in a lineup is the person who probably did most of the writing and sentence shaping with a blow torch. Been there, done that. So let me give a huge tip of the hat to Melissa Jo Peltier who has, among her many other credits and accomplishments, an Emmy, a Peabody, and a raft of movie production credits, including being co-producer of one of the greatest movies of all time, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. You go girl!

But back to Cesar Millan's dedication.

You see, this book is a controversy between pages... or should I say a small wound carefully bound and anointed with the hope that it will knit up.

The wound, of course, was not inflicted by Millan. As I have noted in the past, Millan has never said a single bad thing about another trainer or dog rehabilitator.

Which is not to say that those who have been a bit less successful have not said a few bad things about him -- often without even taking the time to read his books or see his show!

Most are know-nothings and wannabes, but at least one has a dog training show of her own, and another has a dog training center.   And I have good news: the former finally got her very own dog!

Right. So there you are. No names.  I am a dog man and I will not get catty.  Let the healing begin!

But I am off track.

I started typing this morning to tell you about the book's dedication. Let's get on what that. What's it say?

Here it is, entire:

I dedicate this book to my sons, Andre and Calvin, because I want them to learn that many different people from varying experiences can come together for the common good. As a father, I want to train my kids to know that they can have a meeting of the minds with the people who might come from different belief systems than they do. I want them to always keep their minds open to new ideas and knowledge, because only with an open mind can we change the world for the better. I don't want to leave my boys great material wealth. I want to bequeath them a wealth of knowledge so they can become men of integrity with the power to transform the world.

Geez, that's pretty good.

And it's not artifice either.

It was Millan that reached out to his critics, not the other way around.

It was Millan who walked (can we dare say it?) calmly and assertively up to the barking dogs.

And, oddly enough, it is Millan that clicks and treats, even as he shows there are (pun intended) as many ways to train a dog as there are to skin a cat.

More later, I promise. 

And get the book.  There are surprises inside!
.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hee hee! Thanks Patrick, and thanks for mentioning an oft-forgotten co-author! :-D

Special thanks for your own contribution to the book and the extensive research that went into it.

Glad you could be at the Nat Geo event last night. Sounds like it was a success.

Keep blogging and saving the world, one terrier at a time!
Gratefully,
Melissa

The Dog House said...

More later - as in... "Hey guys I forgot to mention a word about the fact that I CONTRIBUTED TO THE BOOK"

WTH? You sat on this news? Patrick!

I was reading the acknowledgments, and came across "Patrick Burns."

I stopped. I thought for a second, it's got to be him! Then I remembered Patrick Burns died last week, so I thought it couldn't be him!

Of course, the very first chapter details the experience of each of the contributing authors, and I just can't believe YOU DIDN'T MENTION IT!

I wondered why you had been mentioning Cesar so frequently as of late... lol.

Bery, bery, sneekie

Congrats!

PBurns said...

Not trying to be sneaky or even engage in false modesty. The simple truth is that I am a midget among giants, and I am a more than a bit embarassed to be on the same bus and a little afraid I may get say on.

I will write a bit more as the week goes on and I read through the book (a write every day, so I have to type *something*), but it will not be about me, I can assure you. There's much more interesting stuff in this book than anything I have to say. Ever.

It's been a funny year...

P.

The Dog House said...

No, no, I totally get it.

I meant no disrespect. I was just ecstatic to see your name up there - and YES, it belongs there.

We don't agree on a lot of things, but there is one thing I know for sure, and that is that you, my friend, are an EXPERT in all things terrier - which makes you an expert in terrier type prey drive, something that few trainers ever truly understand.

I haven't read the book yet (will likely read it one sitting, don't want to start unless I know I can get it finished) but I can promise my review will be honest.

What a great honour, to be included in such a collaboration - the likes of which the dog community has NEVER seen.

You deserve the recognition.

Congrats again. :O)

Seahorse said...

Well done and well deserved, Patrick! Congratulations!

Another bit of good news: the price has dropped a few bucks since I pre-ordered on amazon.com. Two people cannot go to the movies for the price of this book. There's some value for ya!

Seahorse :)

The Dog House said...

Melissa Jo - Just in case you're still watching this thread, someone local contacted me last month about Cesar's visit to my city (I run a private rescue group). The person who contacted me - there were actually two separate people who got ahold of me - looking for rescue in reference to Cesar's show.

I never did get any additional information from them, if you could shoot me an email (just use my blogger account) if you're still looking for rescue assistance in the city of Hamilton, Ontario. Also let me know if there are any gold seats being held back - they went like hot cakes and I wasn't one of the lucky few.

Figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

And congrats on the book, I was just telling Patrick that so far I am nothing but impressed with the way it's been put together.

Patrick, you can also insert ass-kissing joke here as well (lol) but really I'm just excited that there's finally ONE book I can recommend as part of a balanced training program instead of lending out ten and having laypeople try to sort the truth from the BS.

Of course, as a balanced dog trainer, you may have just put me out of a job - or at least reduced my client pool considerably. Even taking into account the loss of business, that's good news - because for every person who contacts me for training help there are dozens who simply get rid of the dog.

This book will save lives. The problem is that people purchase a book on dog training either by recommendation, a shell game or the attractiveness of the cover. When those methods don't work with that dog even after months of effort, and since the book has told the owner that their way is the ONLY way, the owner gives up. Figures there must be something wrong with them or the dog - when it's the method that's the problem.

Congrats again, to everyone involved. And a HUGE shout out to Dr. Ian Dunbar. We all know how the PP forces feel about his "turn to the dark side" but I couldn't be happier by his contributions to the book. Everyone involved put personal politics and semantics aside and collaborated in a way that's never been seen before. This takes courage and a true lack of ego - to stand up and say "this is the method I've dedicated my life to... but it doesn't work with every dog."

There was a beautiful quote when Cesar was doing an episode with the Horse Whisperer. He essentially said that there are "stick trainers" and "carrot trainers" - and that he considered himself a "stick/carrot trainer". That's what this book exemplifies.

Sorry for the rambling, it's just that I literally own every training book ever released and this is the first "broad spectrum" training book I've ever seen.