Wednesday, August 04, 2010

A Canine Name Change


A happy little dog and his new man.

The new dog
has undergone a name change: from Possum to Gideon. Of course the dog's registered name will stay the same: Briar Run Pimp Daddy (his sire's name was "Hustler").

Gideon, of course, is in reference to the Biblical General who defeated his crop-raiding enemies by making a mighty noise in the dark in Judges 6-8. Of course, Gideon won despite his much smaller force. It seems the sound made by Gideon's small band of of troops intimidated his enemies into giving up and running away! Of course isn't that exactly how a Jack Russell terrier successfully wages battle nine times out of ten?

Perfect!

Adding a bit to the story is that Gideon chose his small band of warriors because they were the ones who, when they were thirsty and came to a stream, lapped up water like dogs.

This is one of the very few mentions of dogs in the Bible, and the only positive one, I believe.

Gideon is also Hebrew for "the destroyer" and "a mighty warrior," which seems a more fitting name for a working terrier than an animal slow in speed and thought.

Plus, I write about possums often enough that I think it would be confusing to have a dog with that name, requiring me to put the dog's name in "quote marks" to keep it straight from the marsupial.

But a name in quote marks has a suspect-quality to it -- as if the dog's real name was something else. We can't have that!

And so a name change.

It does not hurt that I know two Gideons (first name for one, last name for the other), or that Gideon's army was instructed to go into battle yelling "A sword for the Lord and Gideon!"

I do not own a sword, but I think my field machete will do in a pinch. A sword for the Lord and Gideon indeed!


.

10 comments:

Seahorse said...

Excellent name and for the best reasons, too. And there might even be the faintest hint of a smile in this latest photo. Yours. The dog was always smiling!

Seahorse :)

PBurns said...

Added a picture of me smiling just for you. I smile a lot, but I am not a handsome man, and it simply twists up an already twisted thing. Picasso on acid, but with a lot less color. The dog is pretty fine-looking however, and he is smart and calm too. I think he might weight 11 pounds or so -- compare the width of his head to mine and realize I weigh 200. The dog has a head like an alligator!

P

Seahorse said...

I'll spare you the talk about how we are all way too hard on ourselves (we're ridiculous, and should not be believed!), and just say thanks for the smiling photo. That's a happy picture of a boy and his tiny-chested dog. Here's to lots of great times together!

Seahorse :))) (extra smiles, just because)

Marie said...

That boy has a big, honkin' head ... and I don't mean yours! I think someone is pretty smitten though ;)

Sean said...

I liked Possum. Oh well, it would be hard to search for on the site.

Viatecio said...

He's a fine dog now, and I think he made one darn fine puppy too. He looks like he has sass even in the pictures on their site!

You two look like you're meant for each other.

How are the girls putting up with him since he's come home? Seems they've been getting along if they're playing in the yard together.

PBurns said...

All three seem to be doing fine. Gideon is not pushy, is self contineed, but likes his fun. I am speding alone time with him after the others are put to bed, and he loves his toys and like to be put upside down and scratched. A remarkably cool little man.

P

Chas S. Clifton said...

Best wishes for the new pup.

My sister's multi-terrier household includes that JR who was our dad's.

Now 14, with almost no teeth and with cataracts, he still caught a mouse yesterday, she reports.

PBurns said...

Excellent; the best hunting story I have heard in at least two ro three weeks.

I love it when dogs are still living "boot on" despite age and infirmity.

Hope I don't peter out myself!

Patrick

Seahorse said...

"It's better to burn out,
Than it is to rust..."

Seahorse ;)