Monday, January 25, 2010

How Much Is that Doggie in the Window?



What's the most expensive dog to own over a lifetime?

Believe it or not, says doggie insurance company esure, it's a chihuahua, whose owners are prone to buying fresh meat, vegetables and gravy for their dog's dinner, as well as buying them jewelled collars and designer doggie-outfits. For the record, 88691 pounds sterling works out to be over $143,000.

Of course, the three top expenses associated with dog ownership, as always, are veterinary fees, food and kenneling.

Of the 3,000 people surveyed, 39 per cent admit they didn't realise how much their pooch would cost them, and a quarter of the people said they even regretted getting their pet.

What's the cheapest dog to keep of the 20 breeds looked at? A Jack Russell Terrier! It's also one of the longest-living breeds included in the survey!

And, for the record, I do not spend anything like this on my dogs, and you do not have to either, provided you follow the veterinary tips on this blog (and in this book), feed your dogs grocery store kibble (Purina keeps my dogs in fine fettle), and use a little common sense.

9 comments:

Retrieverman said...

Big surprise on this list:

Border collie.

But it shouldn't be.

Border collies have a most used sire problem. Try to find a BC of trial quality that doesn't descend from Wiston Cap.

JL said...

The bulldog is the one that really surprises me. Seems awfully low on the list. Maybe they die so young that some of the costs for food and routine care are relatively low?

PBurns said...

Could be the list is basically nonsense.

P.

sassanik said...

Why Chihuahua? Is it from broken legs and teeth problems? I would not think of them being too expensive medically.

PBurns said...

I suspect these numbers are pure bullshit, if you want to know the truth. That said, I have little doubt that chihuahua owners DO take their dogs to the vet more often -- not because they dog is ill, but because the owners are hypochondriacs. Then, of course, there are brian, bone, and teeth issues, from broken bones and displaced teeth to hydrocephaly, and eye issues too. It does not take much to rack up big bills. But the number quoted here? I really do not think it passes the laugh test.

Patrick

Cat, Tessie, & Strata said...

If they are factoring in ridiculous clothes, dog-carrying handbags/strollers, and multiple leashes/collars/harnesses, I would totally believe the Chihuahua figure. I used to work in pet retail, I know what "little dog" people spend on stuff like that.

Cat, Tessie, & Strata said...

If they are factoring in ridiculous clothes, dog-carrying handbags/strollers, and multiple leashes/collars/harnesses, I would totally believe the Chihuahua figure. I used to work in pet retail, I know what "little dog" people spend on stuff like that.

Marie said...

Quite frankly I find the entire list to be suspect. If dogs cost that much to own over their lifetime nobody could afford to have one except the rich. We're "middle-class" have 7 Jacks, if we had to spend $43,000 USD per each dog over their lifetime, well there is just no way. I have 2 senior terriers here, one had an obstruction surgery years ago that ran $1000, the other has been on seizure meds for 14 of the 15 years we've had him the cost of them meds and occasional testing doesn't come even close to $43,000. I'm guessing a relatively healthy dog might run you about $5000 -$8000 (not including purchase price) for general care over it's lifetime. These numbers seem just ridiculous.

Marcus Hooker said...

I have to agree that the numbers are a little off. I don't see how a Greyhound would be that much when a bulldog is so much less. I would have thought bulldogs at number one, but I can see why Chihuahua owners would spend a lot.