Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Digging on the Dogs



Monday was President's day, so I hit one of the farms with a pair of terriers to see what we could find.

I was expecting it to be a bit warmer than it was; the sun was out, but the wind was blowing pretty good on the open fields, and I was happy to find a thick knitted cap in the truck which my son had forgotten to take with him. Yes!

We hunted up one hedgerow and halfway down another before Mountain slid into an enormous multiflora rose break, and began to bay it up underground.

Out came the machete, and in a few minutes I was down to dirt, and I could hear the unmistakable growling of a boar coon pushing back. I cleared away the entrance hole and found the scene below.



Mountain clearly had this one well bottled in a remarkably short and shallow sette, so I took a moment to use the point-and-shoot camera in video mode, before dropping a hole right on top of the raccoon, pulling Mountain (Yes, a terrier's tail does have a purpose!) and allowing the raccoon to bolt up a nearby tree unharmed.



Of course, Mountain then tried to climb the tree, and so did Pearl. They got about six feet up before God and gravity intervened.

By then I had repaired the den pipe and gathered up the tools, and I whistled the dogs down the field to the next adventure, and (miraculously) they followed.

All good. No animals were harmed in the making of this movie.

.

2 comments:

CERBERO e BILLY said...

Mountain big ! Great struggle against the Raccoon !

We are using for the control of the hole!

Mirko

Seahorse said...

At the risk of commenting too often on your site (sorry, it's interesting and provokes my brain!), I HAD to say what a kick-ass little dog you have in Mountain! She's the picture of enthused and tenacious. I learn so much here, not the least of which is now the sound of a boar raccoon underground. I also learn a ton about working terriers in the field. Having only had terriers work on our farm, and not in the controlled fashion as you work yours, I'm used to the dogs hunting more or less on their own, and killing the varmits (rats, mice and the occasional possum)they found unless we called them off something, like a bunny. Reading this blog, and reading your excellent book have been incredibly educational. Many thanks.

Seahorse