Friday, November 16, 2007

Worn the Same Pants for Seven Years

"He's worn the same pants for seven years."

Well, yes, I have. And fine pants they are too -- several pairs of Carhartts which wear like iron and are the finest pants made in American, in my opinion.

One pair of my Carhartts has a hole in the knee (unrepaired), another has the ass ripped out (repaired), and all are badly frayed on the bottom, and deeply stained with dirt, berries and blood.

No, I don't wear them to work.

Yes, I do occasionally wear them to coffee.

And if you are going to the veterinarian's office, nothing will drive the price of your bill down faster than wearing a pair of pants that looks as ratty as mine do. "Give the man a break on his bill ... he looks homeless."

I love my Carhartts. They are made in American by Americans. But, of course, they are priced through the roof -- $36 for a pair. But up to now, I have decided they are worth it.

But today something came in the email, and I am going outside of my comfort zone as a consequence: An offer for 12-oz cotton duck pants (same weight, color and type as Carhartt) for less than $12 a pair from BargainOutfitters.com. These pants have the same rivets and the hammer loop as my Carhartt's do. They also have double knees, same as my Carhartts.

Bottom line: I'm ordering three pairs. Even if they are not quite up to Carhartt quality, they are a three-for-one deal in terms of price.

I will let you know how they look and wear. I have $12 Guide Gear jeans too, and they wear like iron, so I am really not too worried about quality.

Will these new pants be made in America? Sadly, I will bet not. Of course, neither is the computer I am typing on, the cell phone in my pocket, or half the moving parts in my "made in America" car. International trade is a battle I am tired of fighting alone. If these pants are any good, I may defect to the other side. How Republican of me.
.

5 comments:

BorderWars said...

How Republican? The Democrats have been importing cheap VOTERS from over seas for years.

P.S. Carhartt is my favorite brand. It's like Eddie Bauer, but you can avoid the mall.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever been to
www.sierratradingpost.com ? They always have Carhartt (and all sorts of other great brands) on clearance.

I LOVE your site,I've been reading it for about a year and a half, learned a ton, purchased book on your recommendation--I can't believe my first post is on CARHARTTS! I can't even wear them(too chubby). Anyway, thanks for your great blog.

Anonymous said...

That is soooo not your fanny, I'm guessing. :)

I'm not a clothes horse, by any means. I jeans than are older than my niece (she's 16).

Not much into buying stuff, either: There's a three-generation dog collar on my Sheltie. Lance to Andy to Drew ... and Drew's 10!

And I have stainless steel dog bowls that are 30 years old.

But ... electronics are my weakness.

PBurns said...

Whatm you don't think that's my butt? Didn't I tell you I was working out? ;)


P

Anonymous said...

Patrick, I just checked the tags in my new Carhart pants, Hecho en Mexico. :( Thermal shirt, Hecho en El Salvador. At least it isn't China.