Sunday, September 17, 2006

Seeking a Small Worker


WANTED: 11 inch, smooth or lightly broken-coated Jack Russell out of working lines. Prefer young adult (under 18 months) or older puppy (over 7 months).


I have begun the hunt for a small Jack Russell Terrier out of working lines. This is never easy, and my needs are pretty narrow. There are a lot of pups out there, but most dogs end up a bit bigger than I want. On the other hand, it's not fair for me to take too small a dog.

A very nice-looking 10 inch dog (7 pounds!) is available, and if I hunted only a few times a year she would be ideal but since I am out a lot, and in all kinds of weather, I am afraid I would wear her down before her time. A few pounds can make a world of difference in terms of stamina if you are hunting week-after-week.

A very nice looking 11.25 inch dog with a tiny chest is available, and she's a real looker. If she does not grow over the next month, she would be ideal, but genetics and time may be against her. Sailor stopped growing at 4 months, but I do not know if that is very common. Let's see what the next month holds in terms of growth. She is certainly a very pretty dog.

Some very nice litters are due soon or are on the ground, but with terriers you are always buying a pig in a poke when it comes to size. To get what I want I may need to have a small male cover a small female, and there are not too many small males. A puppy may be too much risk.

No comments: