Monday, July 02, 2012

I Feel Like A Homeless Person

Photo by the amazing Alan Shapiro.

The aftermath of the Friday night storm continues, with 2.7 million people still without electrical power.

On the way to work this morning, after a very hot sleepless night, and a very cold shower, I was feeling a little miserable, especially for the wife who just had foot surgery (three toes pinned and a bunion sliced off) as she cannot get up the stairs except by scooting up one flight at a time on her butt. 

There are no washing machines either, for either clothes or dishes.

Even the dogs are in misery, as they are crated in the garage, as the Invisible Fence is down, and the wife cannot handle them with crutches.  On the upside the garage is the coolest place in the house, as it is half underground and has a concrete floor that acts as a heat sink.

Rolling down the street towards work, I saw a homeless man.  I am almost like that, I thought, except that:

  • He never has air conditioning, while I had a fan and a semi-stocked refrigerator last night thanks to a small generator in the front yard. Plus, I had a my Kindle, complet with books, music, and a downloaded Masterpiece Theatre Inspector Lewis to watch.
    .
  • I had a roof over my head last night, and a bed under my back as well.
    .
  • I had a cold shower this morning, but also a shave, and a sink in which to brush my teeth, and a full working toilet.
    .
  • I was in an air-conditioned SUV with a full tank of gas, NPR on the radio, and the cell phone charging.
    .
  • I have $60 in my pocket and also two credit cards, and I know where to get more money if I absolutely need it.
    .
  • I have an air-conditioned office to go to, and Sumatran coffee waiting for me plus Internet, and a hand-delivered copy of The Wall Street Journal as well..
  • I have health care, and a family right up the street that is glad to see me.
    .
  • I will probably have power and "all systems go" by Friday.

  • So yes, apart from those small details, I am exactly like a homeless person.  Check.

    ... And reality creeps in on little cat feet.
    .

No comments: