Saturday, October 02, 2010

You Call That a Knife?



A story out of St. Louis:

A 67-year-old man fishing in a pond in a north St. Louis park fended off three armed robbers with his fishing pole Tuesday night. According to police, the incident occurred just after 10 p.m. September 28 in O'Fallon Park when the fisherman was approached by three male suspects age 15, 16 and 20. The suspects produced a handgun and announced a robbery. The fisherman resisted, and a struggle ensued wherein he defended himself with his fishing pole.  :: source

Ah, fun in the woods!

This little story reminds me of an incident from last year.

I was at McKee-Besher, a 2,000 acre bit of Pittman-Robertson land near my house.

I had only left my car about 20 minutes earlier, and was noodling around in a front field, looking for groundhog settes, when I heard a sound like heavy equipment coming from the gravel parking lot provided for hunters. It did not go away and, wondering if my car was in the way of road-grading equipment, I walked out with the dogs to see what was up.

And what did I find?

Some kid in a Jeep, slamming his car through a deep hole he had already made in the public parking lot, spinning donuts, tearing up the grass, and sliding his own vehicle perilously close to my own.

I yelled at him, but he did not hear, so I slid my pack off my back and walked up with a 6-foot steel digging bar in hand (it looked like a hiking stick).

And guess what this fool did? He got out of his vehicle brandishing a knife!




No doubt that move had worked for him before, but I started to laugh. You see it was like Crocodile Dundee. He had this little Shraeder knife in his hand (no doubt very sharp), but I had a machete in my pack and a six foot steel digging bar in my hand (I doubt he had ever seen one of those before!).

I explained to this fool that I would kill him dead where he stood if he hit my dogs with his vehicle or came at me with that knife.

And then I reached down, took out my camera, and calmly took pictures of Mr. Testosterone!

Of course, he cursed, but being a coward he did not advance.

Good thing too, because I would have killed him, have no doubt about it.   A terrierman does not have to look far for a shovel!

The pictures, below tell the rest of the story, and you can see his knife in his hand in the one below.


Punk with knife in hand, but scared to advance!


Gets in his jeep.


And exits like the coward he is.

Leaving ruts behind him.


Right. 

As Mick Dundee, might put it:  "Just Kids havin' fun."

The dogs and I went on to hunt and had a very nice day in the field too.  But I think I reported on that!
.

8 comments:

seeker said...

That's a knife? Heck, I carry a bigger knife than that when I walk the dogs. Kid's go no sense of reality, just entitlement. They think they are bad because they can beat up an enemy on a video game. LOL!

Poor thing, you probably hurt his feelings.

Good on ya.

Debi and the Texas JRTs

Gina said...

Here we see the juvenile ape bluffing at dominance over a mature example of the species. Note the erect posture, the primal guttural sounds, the use of a tool in an effort to enhance his virility ...

Pat said...

Outstanding! Ooh-Rah!!! This has happened to me many times in my career, except I never leave home without a .45 ACP pistol and as a rule, a .45 always trumps a sissy little letter opener like he had! LOL
Thanks for the wonderful site you run and for always making my day with your excellent articles.
Semper Fi,
Pat Dugan USMC (Ret.)
Cpl. J.R. Dugan USMC (My JRT)

Go to YouTube and look at "Cpl. J.R. Dugan honors a fallen hero" for more about me and the Corporal.

pat@duganusmc.com

Jenn said...

I love those digging bars. A tap on the shoulder with one of those will quickly prove the knife a futile exercise.

I use mine to move cactus. Very efficient tool.

Karen Carroll said...

A friend's late father owned a masonry business in the DC area. One day, when he was dropping off his day labor at Dupont Circle. One of the guys decided he was going to rob his dad. The fellow approached his dad with a knife. Being in construction, his dad, a WWII vet and a southern boy of the Great Depression, grabbed a shovel from the truck. And told the &*****%$#@ "Come on". The dirtbag ran away. His dad was ready to defend himself and the guy with the knife would surely loose his life to a shovel.

Viatecio said...

Hmm, reminds me of dogs who bluff with so much barking and chasing, and then when you actually turn and give them a solid stare with some strong forward body language and a firm "No," they tuck tail and run.

Fun little story and I LOVE the pictures!

The fisherman in the story is lucky...one never knows what the punk with the gun might do, or what would make him shoot.

Seahorse said...

Once more, I'm glad I don't have a daughter. Or a son.

Seahorse ;)

Anonymous said...

In my adult life, I seldom wonder anymore about the way life might be different if I was a man instead of a woman, but this post makes me think.

On one hand, if I was in your position, Mr. Testosterone probably would not have jumped out of his car to confront me. He probably would have laughed and shouted insults and then kept on doing donuts or whatever idiotic thing.

On the other hand, it must feel great to be able to tell a young punk threatening you that if he makes a move, you'll kill him--and feel confident in your ability to do just that. That would be really nice!

I'm a girl, and light, and while I don't live in a state of paranoia, in tense situations with males I know that I am basically weak little prey for whomever comes along. It's not a good feeling.

Something else your article points out: weapons are the great equalizer. On a philosophical level, I hate guns, and I would get rid of them all if I could. In real life, however, I've taken firearm shooting and safety courses, and put in plenty of hours on the range, and anyone who tried to break into my house at night is going to get a nasty surprise. That's a fact.

Always liked your "Liberal Case for Gun Ownership," btw.

Thanks!
Ro Martinet
Romartinet@gmail.com