Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Do You Need a Trainer or a Rehabilitator?

In the first page of the introduction to Cesar's Rules, Millan notes:

People don’t usually seek me out when their dog won’t sit on command. They beg me for help when their dog is destroying their life. In the opening of my show, "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan" on the National Geographic Channel, I always say, “I rehabilitate dogs; I train people.”

Yet, still, the press refers to me as “dog trainer” Cesar Millan. And owners constantly ask me for my favorite training tips.

Of course, Millan can obedience- and trick-train a dog. Let's face it; basic obedience is not rocket science.   Millan's own dogs can go anywhere with him off-leash, and he has trained dogs to do fairly elaborate tricks as well.

But tricks and simple obedience drills are not what interests Millan about dogs. He is interested in something else.

Millan's interest is in what goes on inside of dogs; how they see the world and how they think, and how they get along in our world, and theirs.

Training?

Yes, by all means, but as Millan notes, for so many dogs obedience training is not necessarily where to start.

Millan notes that after he first arrived in Los Angeles, he took a job at a dog training facility where the sales gimmick was to show folks a dog that was trained in Germany and tell prospective clients that in a few short weeks (and for many thousands of dollars) their dog could be just like the dog they saw before them.   Folks never knew the dog was trained overseas by someone they were not hiring!

What bothered Millan more than the deception was that many of the pet dogs he saw entering the training facility did not need basic obedience so much as they needed rehabilitation to deal with the confusions and anxieties already embedded within. And here we come to the crux of it; so many people seek out a "dog trainer," when in fact their dog needs something else.

Do you want your dog to learn basic obedience commands, or to stop attacking the neighbor's dog or the postman? These are different things.

I began asking the question, "Is obedience training really what this dog needs right now?" Many of the dogs were fearful and insecure, and the process of training made them worse.

Millan goes on to note that the question of whether a dog needs obedience work or canine rehabilitation is still front and center with every in-take. You need to "Choose the right tool for the job you need done."

Now, here's the funny part; most people are not that interested in getting their dog to retrieve a canvas dummy from 120 yards. In their real lives, few people need a sit-stay that lasts for 20 minutes, or a go-out-to-mark. In all my years with dogs, I have never needed a dog to run an agility course, or climb a ladder. Yes, I have trained dogs to go out to marks, retrieve over fences, do fetch and returns, and play "bang, you're dead," but there was no need for it. I was just goofing with the dogs.

So what do people want from their dogs? Why do people seek out Cesar Millan, but show less interest in other trainers?

The answer, is that Millan actually gives them what they want. He is the patch that fits their hole.

If you have an adult dog that is eating the sofa, or biting and scratching a hole in the door when the postman delivers the mail, you intuitively know that a "puppy socialization" class is not what you need. Neither is a class that teaches your dog to do a front-finish after sit. Nothing wrong with either of those, but they simply do not address the problem at hand.

So what does Millan offer?

Simple advice.

Exercise for one. The dog that is eating the sofa will change dramatically if it is given 30 or 45 minutes of exercise twice a day in which the owner is walking the dog, and the dog is not walking the owner.

Discipline for another. Your dog is attaching the mailbox when the postman arrives in the morning? Have you ever done more than yell at the dog from behind, and in an excited high-pitched voice, when that was going on? I bet not! And guess what? Your yelling probably sounded more like encouragement from behind (followship) rather than a clear NO signal from the front (leadership). Here's a hint -- dogs don't speak human, so you have to speak dog. Stand between the dog and the door when the "postman" (a friend playing the role) comes, and square your shoulders to the dog while giving it a low-pitched guttural "naaahh" that means "we could use less of that."   Do not move around or flap your arms or talk beyond the deep guttural "naah" signal. Stand and present and keep your body square to the dog. If you want to add a little more emphasis, a light wooden yardstick or batten snapped on the ground once does wonders -- it is a sharp sound that startles the dog out of its obsession, and it is neutral, loud, clear and emphatic. When the dog stops dead, walk the dog back back to a doorway and do this every time.

And, of course, Millan rounds up with affection. Not affection for nothing. Not indiscriminate rewards. Not soothing and gentle strokes for the dog while it is attacking the postal slot ("Calm down Muffy").

Instead, once the dog starts to do the right thing, Millan may shift his body from square-on to take a little pressure off the dog, his voice may change tone, or he may pat the dog on the head or (gasp!) give it a piece of kibble.  And things change, sometimes very rapidly, but always needing reinforcement over a period of time.

Is this what you need more of in your life?

Or is your training goal to get your dog to master weave poles, teeter-totters, scent tracking, and a 20-minute sit-stay outside the donut shop?

This is Question One, and yet too often it is never asked because the real subtext of so much of what is written about dog training is not dogs at all. It's humans. It's humans saying, "I am right and you are wrong... Respect My Authority!




To which I can only say, right.

And did you see what happened when Cartman met Cesar Millan?  Priceless!

17 comments:

panavia999 said...

Totally agree with you. And loved the show when Cartman met Milan!
I've watched Milan's TV show a couple times (don't have that channel anymore) and it was hard to watch the PEOPLE behaving so stupidly with their dogs.

The Dog House said...

LMAO

Best. Episode. Evah.

My favourite part is the ending. Cartman is successfully rehabilitated by Mr. Millan and begins to behave like a respectful child should toward their parent.

However, Cartman's mom realizes that she wasn't letting her son run wild because she didn't know how to control him, but rather because she got her own kicks out of their co-dependent relationship. Like people who complain that their dog has no manners "but I really like it when he greets me at the door by jumping up and licking my face".

To anyone who hasn't seen the episode (even those of you who don't watch South Park or perhaps even despise it) it is totally worth watching.

Linda Ward said...

It's one of the things that often coems up when I talk to my dog walking clients. How rarely I want the dogs to come to a straight sit in front with a finish to heel from a sit. More often I want them to come away from another dog, underneath a picnic table or out of the undergrowth, but this is rarely taught!

Obedience training and obedience training classes are a dog sport, not a useful took for owners!

I don't like CM's tv show because of what I read every day on dog forums, but having never met him, can't really comment on his methods!

PBurns said...

Linda --

You do not need to MEET Cesar Millan; all you have to do is read this book or see the first episode of Season Seven which starts this week -- very smart and very funny, I assure you.

I would never let anyone on an internet forum (none of whom you or I will ever probably meet) decide anything for me.

Half of these people are kids, and most are still on their first dog, but are quite convinced they know it all already. No wonder so many dogs are in trouble!

I am always quite amused by the parrots who talk about dog training in general, and Cesar Millan in particular, but who have never read a book or seen a show, and who do not even know how to put a slip collar on their own dog. A retriever expert who cannot get his own dog to retrieve? A herding dog expert who has never seen sheep? Yep, that and more is out there on the lists, and they have even been to this blog ;)

Get the book.

If nothing else, you will discover there is no such thing as "Cesar Millan's methods." In fact, pages 92-94 are devoted to that very topic!

Patrick

Sean said...

Which Milan book would you recommend if you were to only by one?

PBurns said...

This book -- Cesar's Rules -- covers ALL of what most folks want -- a core understanding of training methods and options, specific instruction for basic obedience, history, and basic rehab for common canine problems.

A trainer from Canada (no names as she is going to write her own review ;D wrote me today to say: "...this could be the best thing I've ever read. There is no judgment, no firm rules, just lots of information and ideas - even when there's a conflict, no one's opinion is left out. I never in a million years thought that I would be recommending a Cesar Millan book to my clients as their first reading... but this book... it's as close to describing my own training philosophy as anything I've ever read."

About as strong a product endorsement as can be written, and there really are some steller trainers here with decades of deep and diverse experience, from hunters to movie trainers, from service and military dog folks to rehabbers. I this is the book the dog world has been waiting for. It fills a pretty big hole.

Patrick

Viatecio said...

As different as rehabilitation and training are, it's hard for some people to remember that behavior is often controlled BY training, even if it's not as formal as a straight-front recall or 20-minute long down. Unlike people who say that behaviorists are not trainers and vice versa, from the experiences I've had (and read about from good trainers online), the truth is that a good trainer is also a good behaviorist. The two are so closely intertwined that it's almost a disservice to go to one person for the attacking-the-mailman issue and another so that the dog might learn to not pull on the leash.

Nothing against Cesar, and it seems that his interests lie in the behavior/rehab side, but he would make one hell of a trainer if he ever found the motivation to do so. As for now, I'm perfectly content with his desire to do what he does with dogs, even if I disagree with some of the little things. He's done almost as much, if not more, for dogs and the behavior professions than the last 30 years of clicks-and-treats, headcollars, and "no-pull" harnesses.

Lindsey Charlotte said...

I love your blog, but disagree with you somewhat on this post.

You are making it sound like getting a dog to stop attacking the mail when it comes through the slot and getting it to perform a 20 min sit-and-stay are 2 different things.

They're not.

They are the same thing, just at different levels--in both situations you must change/reinforce a dog's attitude so that he WANTS to do what you want him to do, and then you must teach a dog that life is better when he masters self-control.

The only difference is that the 20 min. sit-and-stay outside the coffee shop is a higher degree of difficulty. The dog must want to please you more, he or she must exhibit more self-control, and a 3rd factor--the dog must understand and follow a complicated command.

The dog that can do a weave-pole on the agility course should be a super-pro at ignoring the mail man.... if he ISN'T, then you have a VERY confused owner, who does not understand that tapping into a dog's reward/punishment system at the park is the same at home.

Doing what Ceasar Milan does is the easy part. People think it's hard because they don't possess a basic understanding of phsycology and learning, or they are too lazy, or they are too busy, to mold their dogs into healthy pets.

PBurns said...

Lindsey Charlotte --

Training a 20-minute sit-stay and stopping a mail-slot attack are completely different things.

They are primarily trained (in or out) using entirely different parts of operant conditioning.

A mail-slot attack is about protection and prey drives. It's about protection because the mail is "invading" the house, and it's about prey because the mail makes prey noise when it shreds and the slot bangs shut.

Mail slot attacks are reinforced every day because the mailman ALWAYS goes away.

You start to end the behavior exactly as I have said, but the next steps should be about extinguishing and habituation.

Extinguishing is why your dog never barks in front of the refrigerator door.

I am not writing a dog-training book this morning, but suffice it to say that your comment illuminates why Cesar Millan has a top TV show, and obedience trainers who rely on the "cheese or jerk" paradigm do not.

In fact, what Millan does is not "easy," and actually involves understanding both dogs and all three legs of operant conditioning. That's not a requiremeent to teach a sit-stay, and that too is why a lot of obedience trainers are not very good at "fixing" dog problems.

Any decent dog book should tell you more about extinguishing, and some even go into some detail about ending mail-slot attacks as well (note, there are several ways to do it). I believe Cesar Millan has had one or two episodes on mailmen as well.


P.

Cassandra Was Right said...

PB, thank you for your steady, rational, long-time support for CM and his methods, and for your patience in sorting out the confusion that some of your readers seem to experience due to not understanding the differences you so clearly articulate between training and rehabilitation. It fascinates me that some people will gripe - often quite viciously - about CM without ever having seen the program. I really don't get that. On the other hand, my dogs and my minor missteps with them have been so easily corrected through common-sense application of Cesar's methods that I am still in awe. Thanks again.

PBurns said...

Cassandra, you are right that most of the folks chattering away about Millan have never actually watched more than one show and not read a single book (hint: read THIS ONE, Cesar's Rules).

Millan and his co-author, Melissa Jo Peltier, evens write about that:

"My co-author tells me that on occassion someone will say to her, 'I don't approve of Cesar's training mehods.' When she tells the person that what I am doing isn't dog training but dog rehabilitation, he or she grudgingly admits to having watched only one or two episodes of the show or a one-minute clip on YouTube and typically has not read any of my books or seen any of my videos. When my co-author asks, 'What do you think his methods are?' the answer invariably is something like 'Oh, all the choken chains and the e-collars and the alpha rolls.'"

Millan then goes over what the show REALLY features, by technique, for 140 shows covering 317 cases of problem-dog behavior. Statistical tables have been turned into simple graphs to make it all simple and visual.

Read the book.

Suffice it to say, I am pretty sure we will see more of this -- folks on list-servs spouting nonsense to "embiggen" themselves for people they do not know and will never meet. A strange world.

With Amazon, Netflicks, Blockbuster and the local library and bookstore all available to all, ignorance is now a willful disease and not due to lack of opportunity. It's why my lack of tolerance for fools is diminishing. At some point, we have to stop "click and treating" nonsense.

P.

Unknown said...

P - Have come across your blog recently and commend you on your thoughtful articulation.

Have read enough of your writings to accept your recommendation of the Cesar's Rules book. Thanks.

MOSTLY, today anyway, I just wanted to say that this, "ignorance is now a willful disease" is absolutely CLASSIC and totally right on. Best quote of 2010.

Lindsey Charlotte said...

I think my comment was misunderstood a little. My fault. Sorry, it's hard to start a productive conversation on the internet and I obviously did not do it right. I was trying to make a point that would be responded to thoughtfully, but my wording was perhaps too combative and defensive. For some reason, communication through posts on the internet tend to be especially reactive, and if you aren't careful people will look for weaknesses in your post more than they think about what you said.

Let me start over. I think Ceasar Milan is an EXTREMELY skilled individual. He is especially skilled in delivering well-timed punishments. However he is also skilled in other areas, and to me his show is at its most interesting when he's dealing with extremely fearful or shut down dogs. I'm sure I have much to learn from Milan.

And if you can be accurately judged by your blog posts, you are also extremely smart and knowledgeable in multiple areas, some of which being dog training, dog psychology, and dog breeding. I'm sure you know more than me in most or all areas of dogs. That's why I visit your blog.

...Another problem with the internet is that we tend to make assumptions about people we never met based on the fact that most people we meet through forums are stupid and/or unlearned. Hopefully, I am not like most of the people running their mouth passionately about something on the internet. I have watched every episode of The Dog Whisperer season 1-5. I haven't read any of his books, but probably will someday. I HAVE read many books and other publications on animal and human learning, and dog training in general. I know what extinguishing is. I know what negative and positive punishment is. I know what schedules of reinforcement are... etc.

I would NOT call myself an expert because I am not, and also because I am more interested in learning and improving than in polishing my ego.

Lindsey Charlotte said...

All I meant by my comment is that I think some people (not necessarily you, but maybe someone who will read your post) are confused about what "obedience training" is. They have the idea that it is all about clicking and food rewards and only happens in people's backyards or at obedience competitions.

But teaching a dog to perform more and better throughout its lifetime in all types of different situations is extremely complicated and requires knowledge and skills in all different categories of learning and dog psychology.

My dogs will sit outside off-leash while I'm in a store and ignore cars, children, food, bikes, dogs, and everything else until I come back. And I don't usually give them food rewards. It took years of training to convince them that my praise or approval, both a secondary reinforcer, are the most important things in the world.

And is this useful? I would say yes. The other day I drew at Dogtoberfest in Prescott, AZ. A lady's small dog was killed when it tore the leash from her, making a mad dash to steal a treat out of a Mastiff's mouth. The Mastiff finally had to be choked-out by a nearby veterinarian before he released the Yorkie's bloody body. I could have walked right by that mastiff, my dog unleashed, without him leaving my side.

Obviously the Mastiff needed rehabilitation. Would most people have said the Yorkie needed rehabilitation? I would have. And that rehabilitation would have involved teaching him that listening to/following his master is more important and more fun than getting a piece of meat from a stranger. In fact, that would be my overall goal when rehabilitating most "problem dogs." ... And I would call that obedience training.

The Dog House said...

Dog training is instilling incompatible behaviours to conflict with the behaviours you disagree with.

Rehabilitation involves changing the dog's entire outlook with the end goal of instilling a new reaction (or lack thereof).

Training is a band aid. Rehabilitation is a cure.

Training is easy. Any idiot with a book can train a dog if they put enough energy into it.

Convincing a dog who wants to KILL another dog that it's a much better experience to PLAY with that dog (and having the confidence to allow it to happen) requires an entirely different skill set.

Does training make managing the dog easier? Certainly. Training also aids in rehabilitation. But that's all training is - management.

Fast Pup Dog Training said...

Hey there. We have Dish Network and once AGAIN they are in a fight with one of the providers of the shows I want to watch, this time it is Fox and National Geographic. How did you get to watch the new episode ahead of time? And does anyone know if there is a place on the web where we can go to watch it? This is so frustrating!

PBurns said...

Sorry your TV provider does not provide, but not much I can do on that end. I saw this one episode a few days early because I happen to work a few blocks from National Geographic in DC, and Millan was doing a book signing and screening. There are six previous seasons on DVD and books, and no doubt someone will try to boot to youtube at some point. Also, try the CM web site - lots of stuff on there.

P