Thursday, May 22, 2008

As It Is and As It Was at White's Ferry


White's Ferry as it is today.


White's Ferry as it once was.


I've penciled in a trip to Morven Park on the 31st to see the sighthounds run at the American Sighthound Field Association International Invitational -- should be fun, and give me a chance to tuck in to see what little is on display at the Museum of Hounds and Hunting which is in reduced state (never too large, I imagine), due to rehab of the mansion.

I may also visit a farm up at Purcellville where I used to dig, and visit an antique store or two. One of my favorite antique spots is up the road from Leesburg at Luckett's Store near White's Ferry, which is the last ferry across the Potomac River. After you cross the Potomac to the Maryland side, you are not very far from where I hunt my dogs most Sunday's. One of the places I hunt (now farmland) was formerly where the part of the Battle of Antietam was fought. There used to be 100 ferries operating on the Potomac, but White's is the last one and the barge that carries you across is called the Jubal Early, which gives you some idea you are still on the edge of South.
.

2 comments:

Matt Mullenix said...

Look for Shot On Sight photography at the trials.

Daniel Gauss said...

Hey Matt! Who d'ya thing told him about the event.. My 2008 goal is to meet as many bloggers as possible. See you next weekend, Patrick! :-)