Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Make Your Own Rat Trap

If you're looking to trap rats in order to train a young dog, you can use a very small Havahart trap, or you can make your own.

  • Click here to read how this very effective Chinese rat traps works.

  • Click here for a complete set of instruction on how to build your own.

A very similar trap is often sold on Ebay for about $16 and, if you are in the market for training rats, or would like to breed your own wild rats (pet store feeder rats are very passive) it is a good deal.

Measuring 12" x 6" x 4", the trap is made of a strong steel wire frame, covered with 1/2-in. wire mesh, with a spring-loaded door, and a baited trigger.

And yes, for you hawkers, it will catch small hawk food too, including sparrows.
..

3 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

We use a similar, commercial trap that had to be reinforced and strengthen, to trap armadillos.

I found your site when I looked to identify some scat on the long driveway. We have foxes and other wildlife passing through at night. My late father in law was a fox hunter, but they did not kill foxes; just a group of elderly men who used to gather at a rural dirt crossroads to listen to the hounds run.

Anonymous said...

Great trap! And great website link! I am a big cage/box trap afficiondo, making and collecting all sorts of live traps since a young kid--I have some vintage old Havaharts of all sizes! I used to play "Wild Kingdom"--catch, weigh and measure, photograph and release all kinds of critters simply for fun as a kid, and sometimes still do! I remember one raccoon in particular, that I caught so many times, he would just casually walk away when I released him. He got to be quite the nuisance, as he would "trap himself" to get my generous and tasty baits, when I was trying to catch other critters! He obviously found the inconvienance of being in the trap overnight worth his while! This relationship between me and the grizzled old raccoon continued on in that area for years! But a great hobby, and great way to learn about what lurks locally......L.B.

Anonymous said...

"or would like to breed your own wild rats"

As a grower, I do find the most appalling things posted on this blog!

I have a cat at home, a dog who travels with me and plenty of spaces at the community garden for the feral cats so that I DON'T have to deal with "breeding wild rats."

:-D

Dorene