Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Are Your Values Broken?


When someone tells me they disagree with me politically
, here's what I hear:
  • I believe black people should not have full rights.
  • I think government needs to enter, inspect, and legislate both in the bedroom and in the doctor's office.
  • I think gay people should be discriminated against.
  • I value guns more than public safety and oppose treating guns the same as cars, with mandatory licensing for users, mandatory insurance for users, annual mechanical inspection, multiple mechanical safety requirements, and broad limits and prohibitions for what is "street legal".
  • I think women should not have equal rights with men.
  • I think only white men with property should be allowed to vote.
  • I think it's perfectly fine for California (39 million people) to have the same number of Senators as Wyoming (Population: 581,075), Vermont (Population: 623,251), Alaska (Population: 724,357), North Dakota (Population: 770,026), and South Dakota (Population: 896,581)
  • Native Americans should stop whining about the past; we stole that land fair and square.
  • We need to remember "our history" by preserving statues commemorating slavers, insurrectionists, and Ku Klux Klansmen.   
  • I think police should be able to beat the shit out of people with impunity.
  • I think the wealthy should have their taxes cut, and dollar-per-hour wage workers should see their taxes rise.
  • I think child labor is fine and the minimum wage does not have to be a living wage.
  • I think polluted water and polluted air is fine.  
  • I think we need to remove safety requirements from job sites.
  • I oppose Social Security and Medicare, and would rather old people lived in poverty homes and died early, sick, scared, and broke as they once did.
  • I oppose any examination of systemic racism and sexism in American employment, banking, zoning laws, education, law enforcement, immigration policy, or health policy.
  • I believe we should cut family planning and investments in women's health.
  • I think white people are the real victims of discrimination, especially white men.
  • I oppose abortion and also anything that helps kids and struggling parents, such as subsidized day care, public schools, vaccinations and public health investments, food assistance for kids from the school lunch program to Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) 

1 comment:

Greg Mu said...

Lot's of room for nuance, I see.