Saturday, August 13, 2022

Remembering Martin Deeley

I loved  seeing this award honoring my late friend, dog man, trainer, and writer Martin Deeley.

For nearly 30 years Martin Deeley was the Voice of the CLA Gundog Challenge where teams from England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales competed against each other. 

Pat Trichter writes that Martin’s colleagues in Switzerland, Steve Grütter and Jerry Guénéau, commissioned this trophy to commemorate Martin and his lasting contributions to the gundog world.  It was made specifically for the Annual Gundog Challenge Commentators, and was given out for the first time at this year’s (2022) CLA Game Fair.

Martin was a writer, editor, and dog trainer who was also founder of the International Association of Canine Professionals (IACP), which was created in 1999 as an international umbrella for dog training professionals.  See >> https://www.canineprofessionals.com

Martin was a daily reader of the blog, and first reached out to me in 2011 to speak at the 2012 IACP conference, despite the fact that I have never put myself out as a dog trainer of any kind.  A kind and charming man, and a true gentleman, he ignored my protest, and I was invited back in 2015.  

Martin passed away in 2019.  

You are not forgotten, my friend! 

No comments: