Friday, September 18, 2020

Treating a Minor Skin Issue



I never have skin issues with my dogs.... until now.

The cause in this instance is a lay-away from digging during the hot days of August, so the dogs did not get their weekly bath. Perhaps a flea made its way into the yard? Perhaps a few river swims initiated a fungus? Perhaps both? Who knows?

In any case, I noticed a redness at the backside of Misto yesterday while we were kayaking, and a higher than average amount of scratching when I was loading the boat.

Upon inspection, I think it’s a spot of yeast dermatitis. What to do? Off to Tractor Supply for chlorhexadine and a topical fungus treatment. A gallon of chlorhexadine (2% solution) was $15, and a bottle of fungicide was $12.

After I got home, I washed Misto and then sprayed him well with the fungicide. I then popped a baby benadryl (25 mg) in him, and 500 mg of amoxcillin as a loading dose.

No scratching this morning. I sprayed him again with fungicide and gave him another round of amoxicillin.

Chlorhexadine is next after 2-3 days with the fungicide.

Whatever it is, this regime should fix the problem, and will not do the dog (or my wallet) any harm.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

I swear by MTG: Main, Tail, Groom, for my horse, donkey, and dogs, works great, cheap, so easy, in a day or two success. Just throwing it out there for future reference.

Love your blog!
Nicki Piersol-Freedman