Friday, July 01, 2022

World War I: Hard on Horses But Good for Bikes

About 8 million horses and mules were killed during World War I.

On this day, July 1, 1916, the Battle of Somme began.

World War I was a transition point between war with horses and war with armored vehicles. 

While the first tanks showed up in World War I, they were few and quite unreliable.  Most armies moved men on trains, on foot, or on horses. 

Bicycles also began to show up; they were quiet and stealthy and could cover as much ground as a horse, but without the need for feed, care, saddle or harness.

Indian bicycle troops at the Somme in 1916.
French bicycle troops in World War I.
Canadian cyclists in World War I. 
Bicycle used as transport for a heavy Maxim gun. 
 Honoring the lost horses,
Auxiliary Remount Dept. No.326 in Camp Cody, New Mexico in 1915
|

No comments: