Monday, January 25, 2016

A Terrier That Truly Lived



Jordan Reed lost his beloved Grumpy. He writes:
A day out rat hunting with close friends took an unsuspected turn with a simple freak accident. A small puncture wound of unknown origin was quite deep and punctured the liver, and a vibrant rat slayer was laid to rest to ease his suffering.

People often comment on once in a lifetime love, and once in a lifetime dogs. This cannot be more relevant than in the case of the irreplaceable. While you often see this idea in motion the hole left behind makes it crystal clear.

I was given a dog, a dog that started all this rat catching and terrier mayhem. I named him “ Sir Grumps A lot” Grumpy lived in a chain link kennel and was fear aggressive before I met him but he had a look that caught my eye. It can never be said as more true, “it was Grumpy who taught me, the ways of the terrier “

I may be at a loss the rest of my life to find a finer example of the American Rat Terrier. Grumpy was a alert and handsome male weighing perhaps 16- 17 lbs and a fierce hunter of vermin and varmit alike. Grumpy battled the challenge of severe alopecia, medially luxating patellas, and under-socialazation. But even with these faults you could not ever doubt his desire to hunt.

If I had to pick one dog, for any job it was not much of a choice. Anyone who ever had the pleasure of watching him work would say the same, “Grumpy is amazing”. You might not ever get to pet him or even touch him, unless you sat down and relaxed. But if you needed a job you could not go wrong.

It would be impossible to count times he dragged me through berry patches after a coon, chased varmints away from my poultry, went back home because walking in the rain sucked (when you have no hair and alopecia), or jumped through the window of my vehicle to sit at peace in the sun. Like all real terriers he had a mind of his own. How would I prove this supposed value? Simply put, he killed more rats that I can count. Grumpy Dog, may you sleep in the sun where thunder and guns do not exist to disturb your rest, and all dreams are of chasing rabbits. “My Heart is shattered “

I am so glad for Grumpy that he got to live a life worth living with Jordan, and so glad for Jordan that he got to learn so much in the exchange.

Much respect for Jordan for recognizing that even the less-than-perfect have the essence of perfection inside them.

This was a love only a true dog man can understand.

Pass it on Jordan, to the next pup. Nothing loved is ever loss, and the knowledge you gained will only be magnified in the sharing.

In the end, all living things owe earth a death, but it took you to give Grumpy a treasured life.

You did right by the dog.  There is no higher compliment in the world of dogs.



4 comments:

TheMongrolHoard said...


I have never met a more ornery bugger, that seemed bent on teaching me to be gentle. I am seriously short,one amazing dog, of a Hoard. It may now be understood why they are my pack of treasured objects.

Jreed and his Mongrol Hoard

Unknown said...

Respect

Jeff T. said...

Your little dog led the life my guys dream of- they have that same spirit and all-consuming wish to kill little things. They are but little urban wannabe ratters but they and I hold your dogs up as the ideal...

Valkyrie said...

My 3 are BIG urban wannabe ratters, tho they caught at least one all together once, thank doG. I agree that Jreed's dogs are the ideal!