Thursday, November 04, 2010

Start Your Own Internet Puppy Peddler Site!

When I went to Google Mail this morning, there was this little one-line advertisement, just below "search" and above "archive":

www.affordablepup.com The most affordable maltese teacup puppies in America.

I went to the ad and this is what I found.



And below that was this:


And in the sidebar was a list of "breeds" that are available from this Ohio puppy bundler:

Cava Poo Puppies
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Puppies
Teacup Dachshund Puppies
English Bulldog Puppies
Teacup French Bulldog Puppies
Havanese Puppies
Teacup Maltese Puppies
Teacup Morkie Puppies
Teacup Papillon Puppies
Teacup Parti Yorkshire Terrier Puppies
Teacup Pomeranian Puppies
Teacup Pug Puppies
Teacup Shih Tzu Puppies
Teacup Toy Poodle Puppies
Teacup Yorkshire Terrier Puppies

The wingnuts that created this Internet puppy sales site are a bunch of young guys who did so poorly in high school that they all ended up at "Mount Vernon Nazarene University" which describes itself as a "private, four-year, intentionally Christian teaching university for traditional age students, graduate students."

Right.

Never heard of it
, and I actually went to college in Ohio. And, of course, we can see what the graduates of this fine institution go on to do in life -- they become Internet puppy-peddlers. Nice!

Back to the puppy peddler business... did you know there is a guarantee? True! The guarantee is that there will be:

No cash refunds, No vet bill refunds, only credit towards new puppy will be awarded.

Oh, and they "will not accept any claims from Banfield Pet Hospitals" which means they must have wrestled with them before... and lost.

But think about that for a minute. A sick dog came to a veterinarian at Banfield within 14 days of its arrival to its new owner, and these non-veterinarian puppy peddlers who went to a crappy school in Ohio that I have never heard of, and who are nothing more than bundlers for puppy mills and get-rich-quick backyard breeders, decided that they were the experts on all things dog, and they did not want to give up a refund (another dog) to replace the very sick dog they had just fobbed off on some gullible owner!

Wooooeeeeee. That's the story here, isn't it?

Caveat emptor baby, caveat emptor.

But of course idiots are born every day in America, and there's no stopping the people willing to make money off of them. Just ask the admissions officers at Mount Vernon Nazarene University where, for $28,000 a year, you can get a degree that apparently is just about perfect for lining a puppy cage!   But no worries; these boys went to a Christian school!

And just talk to their happy customers if you want to hear how it really goes:

He shipped me a sick puppy with several contagious illnesses so all his puppies would be sick and he doesn't care. I have spent $2,483 in vet bills to help this puppy survive and we still don't know if she will live. I would not buy anything from him. He should be put in jail for not caring about animals properly.

Gosh, that doesn't sound good.

He sent me a sick dog(phenumonia). Acted like he cared. Acted like he would help. Did nothing about it. Stopped contact with me. Dog ended up costing me a ton of extra money. Also never even sent me any papers with the dog.

Hey, you went looking for an affordable puppy not a healthy one or one with papers. And what, exactly, did you intend to do with those papers anyway?

The seller never shipped me the puppy and he did not issue me the credit for it was double billed. He will not return any of my phone calls. I am dealling with my credit card company.

Just an error, I am sure. The amazing part is that credit care companies extend credit at all to small-brained people who buy "affordable" puppies off the internet. No wonder the economy is in a mess!

The seller was easy to work with and promptly handled my order sending my pet in good health.

I am dissasistied in not receiving my pets AKC papers after contacting him twice to remedy this problem. I will be trying one more time and can only hope the fourth call will complete my purchase.

You want AKC papers? Why?? What do you intend to do with them? Seriously, are you intending to breed or show your mail-order dog?

tried to send me a different puppy than the one I had paid for. Did not ship like he was supposed to, after three times, that was when he sent me pics of a pup that was not even the one that was advertised on his web site, same breed, but totally different dog. Returned my phone calls promptly and refunded my money promptly, after I was upset about the switch in puppies

Hey, you know how it is; all these dogs look alike. Besides, you're buying an "affordable" puppy off the Internet. What do you expect? Be happy you got your money back!
Before purchasing my new puppy, the seller was very helpful in answering my questions. However, once the transaction went through I had a VERY VERY difficult time getting him to return any of my phone calls. First of all, I told him which airport I would like the pup flown into..well he chose an airport 100 miles away from me! After telling him to please change it...he told me he would call me back. The seller never called me back..and my fiance had to call him again the following day! Once I got my puppy I took her to the vet for a checkup..according to the vet the vaccine records that were sent over with my pup couldn't have been accurate otherwise my pup wouldn't have even been born while receiving her shot! Additionally, I tried to call the seller to see when my new puppy's exact birthday was..once again NO phone call..my fiance had to call him again the next day!! Overall, this experience was not good at all. Thankfully, our new puppy is healthy, sweet, and absolutely adorable..otherwise we would want all of our money back! Our dog was absolutely precious..she is a shorkie--shi tzu/yorkie mix and I would reccommend this mix b/c they are so cute and loving...BUT before buying from this seller get all of your questions answered before making the final transaction!!

Well honestly, there's no helping you, and why would I want to? Someone has to be the underclass and live in the doublewide trailers. And yes, I would like fries with that!
.

7 comments:

Ruth Hansell said...

Those poor dogs. That's all I can say.

The Dog House said...

I've said before, the problem is only 10% breeder/retailer, and 90% idiot purchaser.

The equation is a simple one. If people didn't purchase from puppy mills, puppy mills wouldn't exist.

Now, we're having issues currently with puppy mills literally contracting little old ladies to sell the puppies out of their homes. The photos are taken with puppies wrapped in blankets on someone's bed, being held lovingly. Some excuse is made about the mother's whereabouts (at the vet, visiting friends, out for a walk, etc) and the puppies are sold for upwards of $1000.

Since there are no laws here that protect purchasers against sick puppies, consumers have no recourse. If a situation gets too hot, they simply find a new elderly person who could use the extra money and enjoys having a half dozen puppies around all the time.

Of course, any puppy purchaser should know that rule number ONE is MEET, SEE AND TOUCH THE MOTHER. But it's easy to see how people are swayed in the moment, sitting on a floral sofa and staring at granny and some puppy eyes.

I soooo wish I was making this up.

And yet we still have a regular running advertisement in our local paper for the website of a local business - PetNeeds.ca

You can clearly see by the website alone we're dealing with puppy mill dogs. A high volume of puppy mill dogs. In a very well educated and affluent city.

Once again, idiocy* reigns supreme.

* I want to be clear that it is in fact IDIOCY, and not IGNORANCE that we are dealing with here. If you still don't, in 2010, recognize a puppy mill dog, you're an idiot.

Marie said...

I have about as much sympathy for these buyers as I have for the buyers of the "Irish Jacks" who will pay upward of $2500 for a pile of crap.

Viatecio said...

Just wanted to comment that, a few years ago, there were a LOT of teevee ads for MVNU.

I don't see them so much now, but it apparently made a name for itself somewhere.

One question, though...if someone really wanted to, could they MAKE those boys take a claim from Banfield? I just don't think a little sentence would suffice in wiping that slate clean.

PBurns said...

Yes, there are such things as "puppy lemon laws." See >> http://www.lemonlawact.com/what-exactly-is-lemon-law/what-is-puppy-lemon-law-320.htm for more information.

But NO, Ohio does not have one.

Which means that you either: 1) have to be a smarter consumer; 2) accept you got ripped off, or; 3) go to street justice which is not the kind administered by white men in black dresses.

P.

Anonymous said...

Patrick, great reporting. I wonder if this explains the far right's odd and virulent resistance to anti-Puppy Mill legislation? Perhaps it's a career major in ultra conservative schools? "Get Rich with Borderline Legal Businesses 101"? "Animal Cruelty as a Career Choice?" Or a "family business" for too many of their voting bloc?

Anyway, I hope someone shuts these guys down. I sent the link to my friends at Last Chance for Animals.

Anonymous said...

Someone has actually published a book on how to supplement your retirement income by running a puppy mill - or as the author so lyrically puts it "playing around with a litter of happy, cuddly, joyful puppies".

I refuse to post a link. The scum doesn't deserve a single hit on his website.