Thursday, July 08, 2010

Small Smooth Worker Wanted


I am starting the hunt for a SMALL working Jack Russell terrier.

The word here is SMALL. SMALL. SMALL. And with a small chest. Did I mention small??

Looking for young smooth-coat, 11-inch bitch or dog from working stock.

Would prefer a dog, but.... I am not so crazy as to think a young 11-inch dog from working stock is actually out there.

Chest measurement is my #1 issue, and so the dog in question needs to be over 6 months old so that I have some idea of what is going on regarding size. Under 18 months old is strongly preferred as well. NO puddings or dwarves! I do not care what registry (if any), but I am a stickler on chest size and a working background.

I am in NO HURRY. I may still be looking for the right dog 6 months (or more) from now.

I keep my dogs for life, love them to death, and work them as they should be. The right dog is worth waiting for.

My dogs are house raised -- there are no kennels here. The back yard is large and interesting, with two other terrier friends, squirrels in all known flavors, and a small pond with fish and a few frogs.

If you know someone who has a small terrier from working stock that might fit the bill, let me know.

Rescue or rehomed dogs are always considered. Actually, they are preferred if anything is known about them.
.

5 comments:

Retrieverman said...

I know of a litter of very small, very obedient JRTs that will be born in August.

They are not JRTCA stock. In fact, the sire is the son of German imports.

He's not been worked, but he's not as hard to handle as a JRTCA dog and he's not as lazy as a Puddin' Jack.

The sire has been on my blog this week.

The litter will be born in Fayetteville, NC.

I can hook you up if you're interested.

The dog dog is about 11 inches at the shoulder and is not a Puddin.

The dam is about 10 inches at the shoulder is not a puddin.

Both are svelte dogs. I have not measured their chests.

Very easy dogs to train and may be game enough for your purpose.

seeker said...

Patrick
I have forwarded this to the RR ladies here in south Texas. I have heard of several small dogs coming into the rescue system. Maybe the right one is here for you. I hope so.
No you can't have my 11 inch feral raised Bridget. She's too old anyway at 4 years and I need her to keep us safe when we walk our 4/5 miles.

hopefully
Debi in Texas

PBurns said...

THANKS Debi! I am getting some strong nibbles; email from five countries so far, which is astounding and hopeful. Small working dogs exist!

P

woodsman said...

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16683787?rvp=1
I think these are close to you.... worth a look

PBurns said...

A very nice female there Woodsman. Casting around for a small smooth intact male to keep the small working dog going. Have a line on a couple....

P