Friday, February 12, 2010

The House Is Not Surviving the Storm's Aftermath

Well a massive ice dam on the gutters of the house has resulted in the entire gutter on half of the house coming down -- smashing through the greenhouse roof, and leaving a 3 foot shard of glass sticking out of the hot tub cover like a javelin.

Along with the gutter coming down in a spectacular fashion, a small section of the fascia boards has been torn away as well.

On the upside, my roofer is a very good friend and an honorable man who does excellent work. He and his family have been in the roofing business in Northern Virginia for over 110 years. At least I do not have to worry that the repair will be done right, or that I will be price-gouged, or that it will fester on someone's "to do" list until June! Of course, the work will not be free. Now let's see if home owner's insurance will cover any or all of it.

In other fun bits of news, my daughter's car needs about $1,200 worth of repairs. Guess who's paying for that? Not me! The car is not worth that much, so it's a total loss and we will have to find some way of getting her a new (used) car.
.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Yikes! Sorry about the mess, Patrick. When we had out last really big storm, four years ago, I lost almost all my fencing. Incredibly, I had already hired and scheduled a fence guy for another project, so I didn't have to get in line -- he was already booked and switched to repair and replace.

The dogs were disappointed to see the back fence go back up, thinking that our property line had suddenly shifted to increase our lot size from one-quarter acre to five.

Seahorse said...

Oh, noooooo! I'm so sorry to hear all this. We're a region of Chicken Littles right now, looking up and hoping the sky isn't falling. Here's hoping everything gets rebuilt even nicer than it was originally. A total frustration and very painful to endure, but I wish you the best in getting a swift, and positive resolution to all of your woes. Hang tough, Patrick, like a terrier to a groundhog's butt!

Seahorse

Viatecio said...

Despite my wishes for more snow, I really hate to hear about damage. I'm glad it's fixable and that there was no major structural damage.

Best of luck finding a new (used!) car for your daughter. You're probably more sane with your finances than we are, though...years ago, the insurance company totaled my Peugeot for some very minor damage that wasn't even my fault, and I guess all I can say is that the thing was part of the family...we paid through the nose to remove the blemishes and fix the side lamp for the privilege of driving a spotless old import for another year or two. Should've just done what you did and gotten rid of it back then, if only I hasn't been so attached to it. Hope the search ends quickly so you hopefully don't have to do too much chauffeur service. Once they have their independence, you know... ;)