Tuesday, September 01, 2009

A Very Wolfy Day



It's a very lupus kind of day.

I posted this morning about how some right-wing hysterics are little too quick to "cry wolf" when in comes to canine welfare debates.

Now two wolf stories have come across my desk:

  1. Wolves kill 120 sheep in a single Montana incidence. This is more sheep than were killed by all wolves in Montana in 2008. More information here. A hat tip to J.R. Abshire's Outdoor Pressroom blog for the heads up.

  2. Cloned wolf dies. One of the world's first two cloned wolves has died from an apparent infection, just shy of its fouth birthday.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been also been wolfy for me today.

I came across this story about supposed red wolves in the Florida Panhandle. http://www.thedestinlog.com/news/class-10765-wolves-newstext.html

There are some on St. Vincent Island, which is a wildlife refuge.

But I don't think any of them have spread to the mainland.

And I don't think any of them have white tail tips-- as in a third of the tail being white.

The video of them is down, but when I checked it earlier today, it looked to me like someone had run across a pack of coydogs, which are more common in subtropical climates. The coyotes have a more irregular breeding season than they do in colder climates, and this provides more opportunity for dogs to breed with them.

As far as I know, no red wolf has a white tail tip.

PBurns said...

Great looking animals, and wondferful, wonderful video, but pure coyotes from what I can see.

A white tip on the tail is not that all that unusual for a coyote. These animals look to be on the small side for a red wolf (small than a normal eastern coyote, in fact).

See >> http://science-ed.pnl.gov/pals/resource/cards/coyotes.stm and >> http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

P.

Anonymous said...

I've seen them with white tail tips, but never with half their tails covered in white fur.

I think there are traces of dog in them. It's much more likely in Florida and Texas than it is here because of how coyote breeding seasons are.

Maybe I should clarify, these are mostly coyote. I do think there's a dog in there somewhere.

BTW, in side-striped jackals, they always have white-tipped tails.