Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A Shot of Expresso in the Morning



“…Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can…”



The reason I hit Querencia -- the blog of Steve Bodio, Matthew Mullenix and Reid Farmer -- pretty often is because the three guys that blog there can write their ass off, and they always get me thinking.

The above quote is from Moby Dick, and starts up a musing on the burden of blogging in hawking season and the creaking of age as it begins to show up in your bones (and if it has not yet, just wait).

Everyone does their own thing in the morning. Mine is to dash off a few emails and correct the typos in what I put up the night before and to check a few web sites before I scurry off to work and get on the wheel and make it go around again in the pet shop window.

On the train I read or edit more stuff. On walks from the subway station to work I think a bit about the things I have read, and they crawl up the old rock of my brain to sun themselves on top like a lizard.

Sure I read newspapers and books and magazines -- quite a lot of all of them actually -- but where else but on the internet do you get Moby Dick worked into a discussion about hawking and blogging and aging? And so, out of the millions of web sites that are out there, I have chosen a few to read regularly, and Querencia is one of them.

No comments: