Monday, February 20, 2006

A Cold Day with Small Results


Fox sette -- no one home despite the bitter cold and wind.

It was colder than a well-diggers toes on Sunday, and I figured it was almost-perfect foxing weather and so I headed out to an old dairy farm (now all in corn) on which I had located a few fox last year. I located four nice fox settes, but no one was home.

Mountain and Sailor managed to jump a small groundhog above ground (or at least I think they jumped it above ground, as I was on the other side of a thick and enormous hedgerow and I could not see them and they were dead silent through it all).

In the ruckus, Mountain seems to have gotten nailed in one of her rear muscles. The skin is not broken, and the dog is not limping, but she has a swelling in front of her rear leg that I think is a hematoma. I think this is likely to disappear in a few days time, but I am keeping a close eye on it. I can rub the area, and it does not appear to be very sore, and if I apply gentle pressure, the lump appears to go down. Deep bruises like this can take longer to subside than you would imagine, however.



A very small (and dead) groundhog gets a little shake from Sailor.

No comments: