Thursday, November 15, 2007

New Camera - Nikon L11




I got a new camera this weekend -- a Nikon Coolpix L11 which is described as a "budget" Coolpix digital camera.

In short, it's the kind of camera that others with more expertise, desire and photography skill will simply shake their head at. "He should have gotten a .... "

Yeah, I know. But, you have to understand, I have no photography skills at all, and I HATE most electronic stuff. My VCR is treated as if it were a blinking clock with a dust-collecting slot in the front. It only exists in the house at all because it was free.

Which is another thing: I am cheap. Or frugal, if you prefer. My people are not ashamed of it; we brag on it. I wear $12 blue jeans, and they are as good-looking as yours and just as tough too. "You get what you pay for" is a nonsense line about 85 percent of the time.

Which is a windup to let you know that this new camera was low cost -- $118 at Best Buy. And no, I did not shop around -- time is money and I am cheap about time too. We pass this way but once, so let's get it on.

Having given you the preamble, let me say that this new camera is a huge step up from what I have been using. The old camera had no zoom at all (dirt gets in zoom lenses, and when you dig on the dogs there is always a lot of dirt). The new camera has a 3x zoom lens, and that zoom is protected by a service plan that covers a dirt-wrecked zoom lens. And yes, I checked.

The new camera also has a 4X "digital" zoom which might actually mean something since this camera shoots at 6 megapixels, while the old camera had only 3.

The new camera is smaller than the old one (just 3.5" x 2.4" x 1.1") with a much larger memory (2 GB instead of 56 MB) which, I am told, will hold well over 500 pictures.

Another feature of the new camera is that it takes "bursts" of pictures, which might mean that I actually get a picture or two of a fox bolting from a den. That would nice, and something I have never managed before with the old camera. No, I am not willing to kill a fox for a photo.

This new camera is powered by regular AA batteries, which means that if I am out of power I am not out of luck (as is so often the case with proprietary battery packs).

The memory chip on this camera is an SD chip which means it will fit in a lot of other cameras out there.

Finally, the Nikon L11 seems to be a pretty standard trail camera. I may see if I can rig mine so it can take pictures of raccoon, fox, deer and birds coming to feeders in the yard. My fear is that rigging any camera for trail work will require a serious hack at the innadards, and if that is the case it may be better to simply buy a dedicated trail camera like a Moultrie D-40 (4 megapixels) that comes with box, etc. and can be had for about $90).

A perfect camera? No such thing; but a good enough implement for my very modest uses.

The first picture with the new camera is below -- Pearl at the door to my study. You may have a better camera than mine (not hard), but I will always have a prettier dog. So there.





7 comments:

Jean M Fogle said...

Now I agree that i have a better camera, after all I am a dog photographer, but hey I think my Molly is just as pretty as your Pearl!
Plus Molly is in my new book, Salty Dogs, all photos of dogs at the beach. She is doing the typical terrier, head in the sand, trying to find the rascally sand crabs!
she even has her own blog all about the terrier life
http://jeanmfogle.com
http://mollitudes.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

pictures are pictures unless you want to blow them up really big.
just and FYI if that camera as a tripod like foot mount on the bottom you can get a Joby Gorilla pod www.joby.com and it will wrap around any branch you want. it's fun too.

Cat, Tessie, & Strata said...

Now here's the REAL question... did you get the accidental service plan coverage on that camera? ;) You're nuts not to. This is coming from a BB customer service employee who has to deal with 5 people a night who didn't think the $40-for-two-years plan was worth it and are now replacing their $300 camera after 4 months since it "wasn't dropped, no, not to my knowledge".

Shameless plug for a company that is good to me. I recieve nothing for this advertisement. :(

Anonymous said...

I have this camera (last year's model)-it's my first digital, and I have a terrible time with the delay. I have yet to get any good shots in the field, other than a tail sticking out of a hole.

Pearl is quite lovely btw!

Anonymous said...

Pitch here for Steve's Digicams (http://www.steves-digicams.com), which was pointed out to me by a couple of pros (probably in self-defense) when I was asking for advice on buying a digital camera. I'm now in the market for a point-and-shoot for work (easier to carry than my Canon Digital Reb and lenses) and have been digging around on Steve's for ideas.

Anonymous said...

The Leica Japan will release the Leica M8 digital camera. The camera provides a low-noise CCD image sensor with a resolution of 10.3MP. It also offers a 2.5 inch display and comes with an additional SD memory card. Pricing and availability have not been announced yet. Stay tuned for more updates.

PBurns said...

The Leica M8 costs about $5,500 (see http://www.precision-camera.com/product/10702 )

Why anyone would want to waste this kind of money on a camera escapes me. It's 10 megapixels, but that can be had for $250 now.

At some point, photography is about the camera like basketball is about the shoes. I suppose it's like Hi-Fi equipment -- the more you spend, the less difference it makes after a certain point. And no matter what you do, some bands will never sound any good.


P.