The photo was taken October 2, 1918 of Americans bogged down in the Argonne Forest.
From Wikipedia:
“The Lost Battalion is the name given to the nine companies of the US 77th Division, roughly 554 men, isolated by German forces during World War I after an American attack in the Argonne Forest in October 1918. Roughly 197 were killed in action and approximately 150 were missing or taken prisoner before the 194 remaining men were rescued.”
Over 4.7 million Americans served in World War I.
The US suffered 116,516 military deaths during World War I.
Combat deaths totaled 53,402, and deaths from disease (mostly the “Spanish” Flu) and other non-combat causes totaled 63,114.
Between 204,000 and 234,000 military personnel were wounded in action.
Killed and wounded combined total approximately 320,000.

No comments:
Post a Comment
All comments are moderated, and all zombies, trolls, time wasters, and anonymous cowards will be shot.
If you do not know what that means, click here and read the whole thing.
If you are commenting on a post, be sure to actually read the post.
New information, corrections, and well-researched arguments are always appreciated.
- The Management